Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Monday, March 14, 2016

#TuesdayTreasure: Mark Wayne Allen shares treasures with us!

Good Morning!

Louisiana/TX and a few other states have received a LOT of water over the last several days. Although the rain has stopped for now, a bunch of folks are still not out of danger. If you're one of them, PLEASE heed the warnings and be safe!

Today's guest is not brand new. Mark visited with us on Saturday Spotlight in Feb and Thursday Thoughts in Jan, so without much further ado, let's see what Mark treasures....

Life is remarkable. As a science fiction fan, I am constantly reminded of Star Trek's Vulcan I.D.I.C. Infinite Diversity From Infinite Combinations is the key to many situations. 

Take, for example, the webinar that I recently attended. Most of it was a waste of time, but I did learn a few key things. Granted, it was mere minutes of learning in an ocean of ideas, but those things illustrated some key concepts that I can reap a lot of reward from.

I make it a priority to learn something new every day. I generally succeed and those tiny slices of knowledge make life easier. Take our family, for example. During the summer, we eat lots of watermelons. Well, I was watching the evening news (in the days before CNN, Fox, etc.) and there was a two-minute clip about picking watermelons. 

I'd always learned that the only way to pick ripe watermelons is the old thump test (and listening for a deep thud). Now, I'm a quadriplegic. If there's something I can do by sight, rather than by hand, I'm interested in learning. So I listened and learned that the more the green stripes on a watermelon were separated, the riper the fruit was. I tried it. Guess what? It works!

What I'm saying is that knowledge itself is something that I treasure. I love its capacity to make my life easier. I love to learn and expand my mind. Most of all, I love its diversity. I love how knowledge can be applied to so many things.

May we all treasure, and use, the things we learn.

Mark Wayne Allen was born in Merryvillle, Louisiana where he now resides, but has lived in many states. Due to life tragedies, he is a quadriplegic.
A love of books inspired him to write down his own stories, which, over the years, has evolved to include all categories. From poetry to short stories to novels, his knowledge of the craft grew over time, and so did his love for it.
He wrote two short stories and several poems that were published in a short-lived e-zine called Dementia. In 2013, he published the science fiction book Star Siege which was written during his years at Louisiana State University. Since then, he has placed in several contests since and even had a first place poem. He writes regularly for The Voice Of Southwest Louisiana Magazine.
Having lived in the North, South, East, and West has given him the opportunity to talk with a diverse group of people as well as an appreciation for different cultures. Currently, he lives with his wife of many years, Kelley, and is an active part of the community. You can keep up with Mark through his Website,Facebook and Twitter.
Mark's brand new book, 3 Lifetimes in 1 is available through Amazon in Paperback and on Kindle!
You are SO right, Mark, knowledge is powerful, valuable and certainly something to treasure.

Well friends, hope you enjoyed today's treasure. Visit weekly for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlights.

Until next time...take care & God Bless.
PamT

6 comments:

Tanya Hanson said...

Nice to meet you, Mark, and may God continue to bless your journey. I love this watermelon hint ( even though my 9 year old grandson is allergic to watermelon! His only allergen!)... But many of the watermelons here are solid green. But I'll sure follow your helpful hint next time I see a striped one.

Alicia Dean said...

Inspiring post, I'm so glad to 'meet' you and wish you the best!

Marissa Garner said...

Great post. So glad you visited. Best of luck with your book.

MJ Schiller said...

My grandfather was also the type of man that treasured knowledge. He taught himself algebra and the mechanics of ham radio, among other things. I feel we owe it to ourselves and others to keep evolving . Keep becoming the best that we can be. If we didn't, think about what a waste our undeveloped potential would be! We'd never know what we could become! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and best wishes for you and all your writing endeavors!

Leah St. James said...

You're so right, Mark. Knowledge is a treasure. I had never heard that watermelon tip, but it's so cool. I'm always amazed at the intricacies of the world and how all the moving pieces of life fit together seamlessly. I too thank you for sharing and wish you the best.

Unknown said...

Sorry folks... I've been dealing with flooding in our town. Please pray for everyone involved: victims, rescuers, national guard, police, fire personnel, and all others. As an elected official, I've been busy coordinating relief efforts. I really appreciate all the warm comments and my recent publication is receiving marvelous reviews. It is my wish that it just blesses people. The story of my life is filled with so many miracles. I just wish that I pass those on to disaster victims. Please pray for them.