Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

#TuesdayTreasure: Guest Post by Linda Yezak (@LindaYezak)

Good Morning and it's a blustery one!

Cold, ice, & rain does not make for a fun day but this week's Tuesday Treasure will warm your soul....

Every year, St. Mary's Catholic Church in my husband’s hometown of Bremond, Texas, holds a bazaar complete with drawings, booths, barbecue, and a whoppin' big auction. And every year, you'll find us there–not because we’re Catholic, but because the bazaar is full of family and fun. We get a kick out of it.

Everything is up for auction. Homemade and home-canned goods, quilts, toys, furniture, motor oil (yes, you read that right), wine made from Muscadine and wild grapes. We almost always buy the canned goods, paying far more than we would if we just got the same thing in Kroger. But it's fun, and it keeps us in good standing with a community  we'll be moving to when he retires, and besides--we know and love most of the folks who did the canning.

But not everything we buy is edible. One year, we bought a jewelry box handmade by a prisoner in Angola. Loved it then, still love it. This year, my heart went to something I kept calling a bottle, because I could see it only well enough to know I wanted it.

When they brought it out so we could see it better, I really wanted it, even though I still didn't know what it was.

Well, $40 later, we were the proud owners of a "beer growler," and we got it for $4.99 less than the sticker price at Texas Slav & German Warehouse in Bremond (they donated it to the auction). Aside from the heavy brown glass, it has a ceramic top and an ornate silver handle.

I had to look up what a growler was because I didn't have a clue. It's not used to make beer, but to carry it home from the beer barrel at the local pub--the 18th Century six-pack, so to speak. (They date back to the 18th Century, but the term "growler" didn't show up until the 19th Century. It was a slang term, describing the "growling" sound the brew's carbonation made when leaking from the top.) Since beer wasn't sold on Sundays, folks would go get their "fix" on Saturday night.

This one isn't an antique, but I love it anyway. It would carry maybe a liter of Coke, or it could (and no doubt will) just sit on a shelf and look pretty. I doubt it'll ever be used to bring beer home.

Things like this silly growler and the jewelry box commemorate wonderful times and the true treasure: being with family. Can’t put a price on that.

Over twenty years ago, after a decade of life as a "single-again," author Linda Yezak rediscovered God's love and forgiveness when He allowed her a second chance at marital happiness. She is now living her greatest romance with her husband in a forest in East Texas. After such an amazing blessing, she chooses to trumpet God's gift of second chances in the books she writes. Linda's novels are heart-warming hallmarks of love, forgiveness, and new beginnings.

Find out more about Linda by visiting her Website 777 Peppermint Place and be sure to check out the blog, Author Culture that Linda shares with 5 other authors.

Also check out Linda's book, The Cat Lady's Secret which is available now through Pelican Book Group and Amazon!

Well Friends, hope you enjoyed this week's Tuesday Treasure and I hope you'll check back for Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

IMW, take care, God Bless and Stay warm!!

PamT



6 comments:

marilyn leach said...

Linda, I really enjoyed your column. I love the things I've collected on travels, especially prints of European cathedrals. I can recall the people and events each time I look at them. Just like the Isrealites took rocks as memory markers, we do the same. Cheers

Paula Mowery said...

Great post about what we should really treasure. Don't you know one day someone will sift through our stuff and say, "What in the world do you think this is and why do you think Grandma had it?" Leave 'em guessing!

LoRee Peery said...

Great post. We have many "treasures" in our home that I've already offered to our children. They say they don't have room or they don't know where they'd put them. It boils down to leaving the best treasure of all...what Jesus has done for all of us.

Linda Yezak said...

Oh, I bet you have wonderful things from your travels!

Linda Yezak said...

My great aunt collected Lysol can lids. Go figure.

Linda Yezak said...

Amen, sister!

Mom asks me occasionally what I want from here house. I'm not comfortable taking things yet. Feels weird.