Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

#TuesdayTreasures Guest Post by Matt Mikalatos

Good Morning!

It is with great pleasure I bring to you another new-to-me Tyndale author as Matt Mikalatos shares something he treasures with us. So please give him a great, big WELCOME!

This may seem a strange sort of treasure, but there it is: my hammock. My wife bought me that hammock when I graduated from seminary. (You may notice evidence of other treasures in the balloons behind it . . . our youngest daughter just had a birthday!)
Every summer day I have a tradition. I spend at least a half-hour in my hammock. It could be reading a book, or hanging out with my wife, or talking to the kids. On special occasions there might be a nap. On the worst days there could be wasps involved and a great deal of swatting and nervous shouts.

The core of the treasure, though, is this: my family wholeheartedly supports this tradition. They come to spend time with me on the hammock, but they don't come to ask for work to get done, or for me to fix problems. The hammock is a place for our family where any one of us can get away for a momentary break from whatever pressing business happens to be going on elsewhere in the household.

One of the things I love about this tradition and this hammock is that it returns me to the world refreshed and more appreciative of the other things going on in our lives. My family loves it too. For Father’s Day last year, they bought me another hammock that’s easier to take with us places, and a third hammock small enough to throw in a backpack for trips to the park or for when we’re traveling.

I hope you have a space like this, where you can get away (even without leaving) and enjoy a few moments of rest and relief. Most often, I use this space for my summer reading . . . nothing from work, just escapist books that I most enjoy, with no guilt or acknowledgment of pressing deadlines.

If you’re looking for a book for your treasured hammock time, I hope you’ll consider The Crescent Stone, a fantasy novel I wrote that is specifically designed to be the sort of entertaining summer read I most enjoy when I’m hanging (yes, I had to use this pun at least once) in the back yard.

Matt Mikalatos writes books (surprise!). In the past, Matt worked as a high school teacher and a comic book clerk, but currently focuses on nonprofit work devoted to helping people love one another despite their differences. He lives in Portland, Oregon, with his wife, three daughters, two unicorns, a gryphon, a dragon, and three brine shrimp. Find out more by visiting his Website.

His latest book, The Crescent Stone can be purchased at Amazon and Tyndale.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll check back regularly for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God bless.
PamT

9 comments:

kaybee said...

Matt, what a cool idea. I've been telling myself this summer to SLOW DOWN and enjoy it, I live in the Northeast and our winters do go on forever. I think it's especially important for writers to "come ye apart and rest for a while," there is always some task that needs doing, guest blogs, other social media opportunities, corresponding with editors and if God blesses, some day, corresponding with readers. We need to take care of ourselves so we can bless others through our writing.
Kathy Bailey
Contracted Pelican author

Carol James said...

Hi, Matt. I love that tradition. My special place is our back patio, overlooking our treed yard. I love listening to the birds sing and hearing the wind swoosh through the pine trees overhead. So peaceful.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Matt,

One of the family photos that I treasure is of my deceased father-in-law lying in his hammock on a summer day with my older son then about six lying on one side and a boy cousin who was eight lying on the other. The three were relaxed and enjoying each other's company. Hammocks can be special places as you say.

Alina K. Field said...

What a lovely family tradition, and an important reminder that everyone, even Dad, needs to step away for a few minutes of refreshing relaxation. Thanks for sharing, and best of luck with your book.

Mary A Felkins said...

Nothing more relaxing than our back yard hammock! I've fallen asleep in the warm sunshine on many occasions out there. And what a beautiful picture of this being a place where nothing is required of you. Hope your pet dragon is friendly :)

Kara O'Neal said...

That is just lovely. What a nice tradition you've built. I enjoyed reading your post. Good luck to you!

marilyn leach said...

Matt, what a special place, a hammock. You're right, We all need our special place to rest and refresh. Truly enjoyed your treasure and may your book bless all who read it. Cheers

Sharon Ervin said...

Great idea: the hammock. Young women today try to be super human, pursuing careers outside the home, being homemakers, satisfying wives, laundresses, cooks, moms, etc. When these exhausted women ask how to fit all of their responsibilities into the 24-hour days they are allowed, I suggest they pencil in 15 minutes a day to sit and stare out a window, or breathe fresh air, allow this specific period of time to "indulge ones' self." It's not a time for updating their to-do lists, problem-solving, or dealing with other challenges. It's time in which to do nothing. Reserving this quiet time in a specific place, like the hammock, embellishes my advice. Very therapeutic. Good for one's soul and her mental health. And it's also a boon to those nearby. Thanks for sharing.

Diane Burton said...

A lovely tradition. What a great place to relax.