Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

#WednesdayWordswithFriends Welcomes Wendy J Dunn!

Good Morning from Toledo Bend Lake!

We drove up Sunday afternoon but don't have the best fishing report for you. Only caught a few yesterday, rained out today but as they say....the worst day of fishing beats the best day of work LOL!

Today's guest is brand new to our blog so please give Wendy J Dunn a huge, warm W-E-L-C-O-M-E!

Take it away, Wendy.....

Hoping you enjoy reading my response to this writing prompt:

A drunken man sits next to you in a bar, thinks you’re his buddy and starts confessing “the truth”. Write about what “the truth” is.

“Books,” the man said, sitting next to me. “Do you read books?”

My night out was getting crazier by the minute. I should be home, reading books, writing books, but now a drunken man disturbs my thoughts to talk about books?

“Of course, I read books,” I mumble. I curse myself. At my age, I should know better than to talk to intoxicated men. I should have just left him at the bar and gone home. That’s where I belonged, rather than being alone in the city after midnight.

The man jutted his face closer to mine. His breath smelled of beer and whiskey. “Want to know the truth? Books are dangerous things,” he said.

I shrugged and shifted uneasily on the stool. “I know that.” I glanced at my nameless companion but spoke more to myself than to him. “Books make us think—and they have the power to change our thinking.”

I almost jumped out of my skin when the man smacked his hand hard against the bar. “Who says I need to think?”

He left me then, weaving through the crowd of people, disappearing into the dark of the night. My thoughts returned to my unfinished novel. I was here, in this bar, because of writing that stupid book, and because my imagination had let me down.

I hadn’t been in a bar, not in the early hours of the morning, for years. But today my character decided she wanted to go to a bar. I struggled to visualise the scene, let alone write it. I’ve travelled the world to research my novels—so it didn’t seem a hard ask to get in my car that evening and drive into the city for a few hours.

Now I felt like crying.

I reminded myself of one of my writing creeds, the words of Akira Kurosawa, “Being an artist means not having to avert one’s eyes”. How I wanted my writing to have substance; how I wanted my writing to mirror how I see the world.

I wrote because it was my way of really thinking, my way of growing, my way of looking at the world and voicing my truth. While it was my truth, it might speak to someone else, too.

But tonight, brought back my worry that too many could not bear to look at the mirrors held up to them. They feared the danger of books.

Born in Melbourne, Australia, Wendy is married and the mother of three sons and one daughter—named after a certain Tudor queen, surprisingly, not Anne.

Connect with Wendy
 
Twitter: @wendyjdunn
Instagram: wendyjdunnauthor

Falling Pomegranate Seeds: All Manner of Things


FPS: The Duty of Daughters

The Light in the Labyrinth

Dear Heart, How Like You This?

You can read my Tudor novels FREE at Kindle Unlimited.  

So, true, Wendy, most of us can't bear to look at the mirrors held up to us! 

Hope you enjoy the post friends and that you'll check back each week for Wednesday Words with Friends and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God Bless.

PamT

7 comments:

Liz Flaherty said...

I enjoyed your story!

D. V. Stone said...

Thank you for sharing. D.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Wishing you all the best with you writing.

Mary K. Marelli said...

A fun read Wendy! I wish you well with your writing.

Alina K. Field said...

What an interesting and thought-provoking post! Thank you for sharing it.

Mary Preston said...

Books are certainly powerful.

Wendy J. Dunn said...

Thank you everyone for your comments, and kind words!

Warmly,
Wendy