Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

#WednesdayWordswithFriends welcomes Valerie Massey Goree

Good Morning!

According to the National Weather app, we're in for some cold, wet weather over the next few days - with the possibility of snow! Yeah, we get snow every now and again. I think the last time was 2017 so I know the kids are looking forward to that. Me? Not so much. Alas, we'll take what we get and pray for the safety of all those Cajun's out there who really don't know how to drive in snow or ice. 

I'll be glad when Winter is over. I know, I know, I'm wishing my life away. I AM trying to take things one-day-at-a-time though and do my best and let God handle everything else. 

I just don't like cold weather - especially when it's raining.

Enough about me though. Please welcome our guest Valerie Massey Goree back as she shares with us her writing journey.. Take it away, Valerie!

My Writing Journey

I know you’ve probably read many posts on this subject, however, my journey did not start off well. 

I grew up in the former British Colony of Rhodesia, now called Zimbabwe in Central Africa. We followed the British educational system, and many of our teachers were from England. Although I believe we received an excellent education, some of the teachers were straitlaced and well, cold. I distinctly remember the teacher we had for 7th grade English. After we wrote our essays, she’d have us stand in front of the class and read them out loud. Then, she would critique our work and allow students to add their pros or cons. 

At the time, I didn’t know that I had OCD tendencies. I followed instructions to the letter. I had no imagination outside of the assignment. My math work was immaculate, not always correct, but all my columns of numbers lined up perfectly. 

The essay topic for this class assignment was to write about things we collected, for instance coins from foreign counties. My older brother had just left home and had given me his stamp collection. As you might imagine, the tiny square or rectangular stamps lined up next to each other on their special pages indulged my ‘OCDness’. Well, whoop-de-doo. I had something to write about. So I planned my essay, and began writing. 

Mrs. Teacher—I remember what she looked like, but not her name—walked around the room and commented on what kids had written. One student received flowery compliments because she chose to write about two of her collections. I could do that. I collected many things that caught my OCD ‘eye’, items that met my desire for symmetry, or variations in color or size.

I completed my essay on my stamp collection, then added a few paragraphs about how I collected buttons and liked to sort them into colors, then line them up on the parquet flooring in my bedroom. I so wanted to receive compliments and couldn’t wait for Mrs. Teacher to hear my composition. 

I have no idea what she said about my stamp collection because all I remember are her harsh words about how silly it was for a thirteen-year-old to be playing with buttons!

As you can imagine, creative writing was not high on my list after that. In fact, I hated writing and dreaded every writing assignment that came my way, even in University. I only began to open up to putting words on paper when I was in my forties. 

My latest novel is a revised version of the first book I wrote, way back when word processors were the rage. Although Forever Under Blue Skies, set in Australia, is my sixth published novel, as you can imagine, it is very close to my heart. My maternal grandmother was born is Australia. I relied on details from my great-great-grandparents’ family tree for my story, even to using the town of Bendigo. Now, my family never lived on a sheep station, but that’s where the fiction part came in. 

What was life like on a sheep station in 1983? Follow Marlow’s journey to find out. 

Travel to Australia to solve a family mystery? Sure, Marlow could do that. But she didn’t take into consideration the vast outback, nor the owner of the sheep station. Widower, Jake Barclay, is everything her late husband was not—honorable, considerate, a pure gentleman. She came prepared with sunscreen, but hadn’t built a high enough screen around her heart. 

Jake was dubious about Marlow’s reason for visiting his station and thwarts her plan at every turn. Until he sees how she interacts with his vulnerable, young daughter. 

If they solve the coded message, can Marlow return to Texas, or will Jake offer her a forever home in the outback?

About Valerie: American Christian Fiction Writers Genesis Award winner Valerie Massey Goree resides with her husband on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

After serving as missionaries in her home country of Zimbabwe and raising two children, Glenn and Valerie moved to Texas. She worked in the public school system for many years, focusing on students with special needs. Now retired in Washington, Valerie spends her time writing, and spoiling her grandchildren. 

Novels include: Deceive Me Once; Colors of Deceit; The Stolen Lives Trilogy, Weep in the Night; Day of Reckoning; and Justice at Dawn, to be released soon. Valerie’s latest novel Forever Under Blue Skies, is now available from Amazon.

Valerie loves to hear from her readers.

Visit Valerie’s website to learn more about her books: www.valeriegoreeauthor.com and connect with her on FaceBook. Check out her last post HERE. Get your copy of Forever Under Blue Skies at Amazon.


What a journey, Valerie! Thank you for sharing. We wish you the best of luck and God's blessings with your new book.

Hope you enjoyed Valerie's post, friends and that you'll check back weekly for Wednesday Words with Friends and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God Bless.
PamT

10 comments:

Barbara Britton said...

Hi Valerie. I want to have a discussion with your critical teacher. Who is she to rate collections and belittle a young girl. I love your stories and this one sounds intriguing. I still remember a conversation we had at an ACFW Conference about marketing where we discussed potato salad.
All the best on your new novel.

D. V. Stone said...

Congratulations on your book. Best wishes for many readers. D.V. 🦉

JENNIFER WILCK said...

I'm so glad you moved past your teacher's harsh criticism! Congratulations on the book and best of luck with it!

Kara O'Neal said...

I sure dislike that teacher you had. Congratulations on moving forward and on the book! It's sounds great!

Alina K. Field said...

Teachers can have such a powerful impact for good or ill! Glad you took up your pen (or wordprocesser) again! Congratulations on the book!

LoRee Peery said...

Hi Valerie. Well, hmmm. I must have OCD tendencies. My buttons are sorted by color. Items on my pantry shelves are sorted with labels outward. Shame on that teacher and I'm so thankful you use your creativity to bless us! I have your book on my to-purchase list!

Barbara Bettis said...

What a horrible thing for a teacher to do! She probably would sink into shock at some women I know--they belong to a national organization of button collectors. I have visited my friend when she had her buttons all spread out on her huge dining table, organizing them into an orderly display. So glad you her words didn't keep you from writing again! :) All the best with your book.

Valerie Goree said...

First of all, thank you Pam for hosting me today. Thanks for all the comments. I often remembered that teacher when I began my teaching career. I tried to offer each child something positive at least once a day. Word are so powerful.

Mary Preston said...

I still like to collect, sort and play with buttons - pretending I am just choosing which buttons to use.

Alicia Dean said...

Wow, what an interesting journey. Your book sounds wonderful. Congrats and best wishes!