Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

#TuesdayTreasures with Janet Lynn!

Good Morning Friends!

I pray your Memorial Day weekend was blessed, happy and safe.

Today's guest has visited before and shared Thoughts, Treasures and our Spotlight so we'll just jump right in and welcome Janet Lynn back to our blog! Take it away Janet.....

The Drive-Ins
My husband, Will Zeilinger and I co-write the Skylar Drake Murder Mystery series, a hardboiled detective series that takes the reader to 1950s Los Angeles and other areas of the west. SLICK DEAL begins in L.A. with clues that lead to Avalon, on Catalina Island.
Partnering has been a wonderful way to work. Each of us are independently published authors  and now co-write.

As we research each book in the 1950s, memories of the era come flooding back. Unfortunately,  drive-in theatres are a thing of the past. I was the oldest of five children and going to walk-in theatre movies would have been expensive  for a young family. So many families opted for drive-ins.  I remember getting there early so we could  play on the swings provided for the young ones before the movie started. I also remember the gravel platforms we drove and parked on.
And one cannot think of drive-ins without the window speaker that hooked onto the driver's window so all in the car could hear. Finding one that didn't crackle was a feat in itself. The snack shops were full of goodies, I saw my first Coke in a huge paper cup there and the biggest box of Jordan Almonds I had ever seen. It rivaled some of the biggest boxes of theatre candy today.
I think I was nine or ten years old when my family went to see the movie Lady and the Tramp at a drive-in. We were close to the screen and the characters were bigger than life to me. The Bella Notte (spaghetti scene) so impressed me. It seems like yesterday I was sitting in the car, looking at the screen, enthralled with the two dogs eating a spaghetti dinner with a Concertina playing.
Those drive-ins, a thing of the past, will always be associated with growing up in the fifties, an American treasure that is just a memory now.

For a waltz down memory lane go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbzEOQLOAWw

What a cute post, Janet! Thanks for sharing.

Published authors Will Zeilinger and Janet Lynn write individually until they got together and created the Skylar Drake Mystery Series. These hard-boiled tales are based in old Hollywood of 1955. Janet has published seven mystery novels and Will has three plus a couple of short stories.

Their world travels have sparked several ideas for murder and crime stories. This creative couple is married and live in Southern California.

The latest Skylar Drake Mystery, fourth in the series, SLICK DEAL was released April 16, 2018 and yes...we are still married!

Links for Janet:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact info for Will:
Twitter:  @Will_Zeilinger

Slick Deal can be purchased at Amazon.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll drop by weekly for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God Bless.
PamT

7 comments:

Darcy Flynn said...

I grew up in New Orleans and have such fond memories going to drive-in theaters. The last time I remember going was with some high-school friends. We saw The Lion in Winter - starring Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn. I think Los Angeles in the 1950's would be a terrific time to visit that city.
Best to you on her series!

Patricia Kiyono said...

I remember drive-in theaters, too! In Michigan, they only operated from May through September. What fun! Thanks for sharing your books, too!

Jacqueline Seewald said...

As a young child in the 50's, I remember the era vividly including drive-in movies. Nice memories. The series sounds like good reading! Congrats.

Alina K. Field said...

We took our son to the second-last drive-in theater in our area when he was little. He put on his pajamas for the event and was really excited. Soon after, it was torn down to build houses. The very last theater has been turned into a giant swap-meet.

Kara O'Neal said...

I love the memories you've evoked with your post. I saw E.T. as the drive-in theater. It was so much fun. I loved every second. I also enjoyed reading about the concept of your story. I think it's so cool that you write with your husband. I can't imagine being able to do that with mine! Y'all must be very in sync with each other.

Susan Coryell said...

Coming of age in the 60's, we called drive-ins "passion pits," as the back seat was great for making out. After college and marriage, we often patronized drive-ins because they were cheap and we could take our own food.
Thanks for the memories!

Janet Lynn said...

Thank you Pam for hosting us on your blog. Yes, Drive-ins though a thing of the past, is something I remember quite vividly growing up in New York in the 50s. I was the oldest of 5 children and we too brought our own food to eat while watching the movie. Because of the weather, the Drive-in was only open in the late spring (May) to early fall (first two weeks of September). But I understand those that grew up in the LA area had the theatre mostly year round.

My husband and I have enjoyed researching and writing together. It's been a wonderful journey. Thank you for all of your comments.