Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

#TuesdayTreasures The Empath's Survival Guide by Judith Orloff, MD

Good Morning!

A couple of years ago I featured, The Ecstasy of Surrender by Judith Orloff and loved the book so when Nikki Leigh contacted me about Dr. Oloff's current title, I jumped at the chance to read, review and share it with you.

The Empath's Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People
By Dr Judith Orloff

What is the difference between having empathy and being an empath? “Having empathy means our heart goes out to another person in joy or pain,” says Dr. Judith Orloff. “But for empaths it goes much further. We actually feel others’ emotions, energy, and physical symptoms in our own bodies, without the usual defenses that most people have.” The Empath’s Survival Guide is an invaluable resource for empaths and anyone who wants to nurture their empathy and develop coping skills in our high-stimulus world—while fully embracing their gifts of intuition, compassion, creativity, and spiritual connection.

This practical, empowering, and loving book was created to support empaths through their unique challenges and help loved ones better understand the empath’s needs and gifts. Dr. Orloff offers crucial practices, including:

• Exercises to help you identify your empath type and where you are on the empathy spectrum
• Tools for protecting yourself from sensory overload, exhaustion, addictions, and compassion fatigue while replenishing your vital energy
• Simple, effective strategies to stop absorbing stress and physical symptoms from others and protect yourself from narcissists and other energy vampires
• How to find the right work that feeds you
• How to navigate intimate relationships without feeling overwhelmed
• Guidance for parenting and raising empathic children
• Awakening the empath’s gift of intuition and deepening your spiritual connection to all living beings

For any sensitive person who’s been told to “grow a thick skin,” here is a lifelong guide for staying fully open while building resilience, exploring your gifts of depth and compassion, and feeling welcome and valued by a world that desperately needs what you have to offer.

Watch the book video HERE.

About Judith Orloff, MD

Judith Orloff, MD is author of The Empath's Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People. Dr. Orloff is a psychiatrist, an empath, and is on the UCLA Psychiatric Clinical Faculty. She synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with cutting edge knowledge of intuition, energy, and spirituality. Dr. Orloff also specializes in treating empaths and highly sensitive people in her private practice. Dr. Orloff’s work has been featured on The Today Show, CNN, the Oprah Magazine and USA Today. She is a New York Times best-selling author of Emotional Freedom. To learn more about Dr. Orloff's free empath support newsletter as well as her books and workshop schedule, visit her www.drjudithorloff.com

She has a Facebook Empath Support Community (over 8K empaths) that people can join here  https://www.facebook.com/groups/929510143757438/

My Official Review:

We all know people who are "sensitive." They feel things other people are experiencing. They exhibit mood swings when the moon is full, or new. They get depressed when the world is in chaos. This may even be you! If so, you owe it to yourself and/or them to read this book! Empaths have gotten a bad rap, but Dr. Orloff does an excellent job of describing the signs of being one and offers ways to manage symptoms and reactions. I truly enjoyed this book and will be rereading The Ecstasy of Surrender in the near future.

Hope you enjoyed the post and that you'll join me each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God bless.
PamT

8 comments:

Tina Gayle said...

Very interesting article. I am empathic and have suffered with the demands on my emotions. I'm also very creative which has saved me, because as a writer I spend lots of time alone which gives me a chance to recharge.

Thanks Judith for helping people who don't understand the pain that being empathic can cause.

Tina

Susan Coryell said...

Empathetic, for sure, but probably not an empath, unless shedding tears of joy and sorrow for someone counts. Interesting article; I always enjoy learning more about the human psyche!

Alina K. Field said...

This is very interesting, certainly food for thought. I'm going to head over to Amazon and check out this book!

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I think we writers are sensitive, emotional people and tend to feel sympathy for others deeply. Perhaps that is one reason we need to write.

Lyndi Lamont said...

That sounds like me, Pamela. I once carpooled with a woman who was having marital problems and after a couple of months, I was so depressed and couldn't figure out why. It finally dawned on me that I was absorbing her depression, so I quite driving with her. In a short time, I was back to my normal self.

Linda McLaughlin

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thank you ALL for dropping by. Not sure if Dr. Orloff will get a chance to but I appreciate you so very much!

I'm glad this helped, Tina, I understand completely about being an Empath. Maybe not as fully as some, but I experience a lot of the things mentioned in this book.

Yes, Susan and Jacquie, writers are very sensitive and empathetic, which makes us good at what we do.

Sounds like you may be an Empath, Lyndi, take care to learn the skills to take care of yourself!

Again, THANK YOU ALL for dropping by!
PamT

Leah St. James said...

Fascinating topic. Like others, I'm definitely in the "empathetic" category, but I think that's it. I'll have to check it out!

Azhar said...

This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. anger management