Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, October 20, 2016

#ThursdayThoughts Random Ramblings on Addiction & Judgement

Good Morning Friends,

It's been a while since I shared thoughts with you but these two situations have come up in my life and in the lives of those I love so I thought I's speak with you about them.

Many times we are quick to judge someone's actions and/or addictions based on what we think their life should be. True, many addictions are unhealthy and lead to pain and destruction.

But what about those 'lesser' addictions?

Gossip, or shopping, or exercise, or any number of things we consider to be less devastating, even something a simple as negativity or exploring different aspects of spirituality. Granted some of these seemingly 'lesser' things can lead to, at the very least, worse behavior and at most, danger.

But not always.

Addiction like everything is a heart issue. A mindset.

I'll be the first to admit my addiction is Reading.

Some of you may laugh, many will relate, but in reality, anything that causes a person to forfeit sleep or food or camaraderie with the people with whom we have a relationship is unhealthy for all involved.

I, like many, feed my addiction in binges....I'll go for days or weeks without reading then something will spark in me and I'll read several novels in as many days, sometimes foregoing things like meals or exercise. Even sleep.

Wouldn't it be healthier for me to read daily?

Maybe.

I've always been an avid reader and no matter how long I go between binges, my love affair with the written word is real, sometimes consuming.

Now please don't think I'm making light of other, 'real' addictions.....Drugs, Alcohol, Obsessive Behavior.

And here's where the judgement part comes in. Unless we are REALLY hurting someone, we tend to think in boxes labeled Right, Wrong, Not so Bad, Insane....

We tend to judge on so many levels.... She can't be a Christian if she writes erotica.

She writes edgy...God can't be happy--after all that kind of writing doesn't really glorify Him.

They were friends the whole time each was married to someone else...now they're together...wonder how long that was going on?

He smokes, drinks, gambles....SIN...Judgement...

If you've known me long you know I don't write to condemn but to encourage and edify and that's all I'm trying to do here.

Jesus said to us, "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you."

In what area(s) are you/we holding up the light of judgement when really we should be loving unconditionally and praying for those whom we judge? After all, the Bible does state, "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Something to think about!
"Inspirational with an Edge!" 


In my story, Review of Love Kylie Ericson and Jason Stockwell deal with the issue of judging......

Jason Stockwell has been commissioned to interview Kylie Erickson and to review her books. Only problem is, she won’t give the time of day much less an interview to someone whose type of writing she deems not worthy of respect. Can they suspend their judgmental attitudes and find true love? Find out in Review of Love....

Enjoy this short, FREE read from Pelican Book Group/White Rose Publishing then tell me what you think....

I hope you enjoyed today's random ramblings and that you'll return each week for  Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts, Saturday Spotlight.

Another great book (which I finished reading this morning...yes during a binge...the 2nd novel I've completed since Monday night) is A Moment of Weakness by Karen Kingsbury and it is a great example of what I'm talking about here AND I haven't read Forgiveness by Marianne Evans yet but from what I understand, this book is a shining example of today's topics.  Check 'em out!

Until next time, take care and God bless.
PamT




13 comments:

Susan Oleksiw said...

A good, honest piece, gently written, and much needed in our current political climate and with the violent state of the larger world.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks, Susan....I didn't think of the post in that light but you're right...
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Maris said...

Good, thought provoking piece. It's so easy to judge others by what we consider right or wrong. Much more difficult to accept differences. I know I am judgmental. I try not to be, but there are times (probably too many times) when I find myself thinking someone is not as good a writer because... Or weak because... Or overweight because... Unless I am perfect (and I'm certainly not), I have no right to judge others.

Susan Coryell said...

Interesting and, I believe, so true. An in-law is addicted to Diet Coke. Maybe not as innocent as it appears because it is so excessive. Still, as you say, who are we to judge?? Nice post!

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi Pam,

Addictions are a serious problem in our society. It's important to be helpful and lend support when it's needed, but I agree, it's wrong to be judgmental.

LoRee Peery said...

Hey, Pam. I'm surprised you didn't mention the addiction to devices. I have to admit I'm also addicted to reading. I can leave someone else's story alone during the day, except morning Bible/devotion, but at night? I don't watch commercials. If I'm into a story, I listen to my husband with one ear instead of two, and I can't go to sleep unless I've read first. As far as judgment goes, all I have to remind myself is I haven't walked in those shoes so I don't know how I'd be living someone else's life. I finished reading Forgiveness at the hairdresser's and have to admit shedding tears over the reminder of how alcoholism has affected my family. Thanks for a great post.

marilyn leach said...

Pam, I appreciate your blog today. We all need to be reminded about judging others. When we point a finger, 4 fingers point back at us. I remember my elementary school teacher telling the class that, and it has stuck in my mind. Now, successfully living it: that takes a great deal of work and God's great mercy. Thanks again, Pam. Cheers

Alicia Dean said...

Wonderful, thought-provoking post. Yes, addiction is very serious. I have dealt with many, many friends and family with serious addictions. If you're going to be addicted, reading isn't a bad thing to be addicted to. :) So true about judging. Well put!

MCX Gold Tips said...

this is good blog u shared,I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information.

Silver Jackpot Call

HNI Crude Call said...

nice post..thanks for writing

Commodity Trading Tips Provider

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thank you ALL my lovely friends for stopping by and commenting. Sorry I couldn't answer each of you individually....now that I have a 'real' job ;-) I don't have as much time to hop online.

Good bless you ALL!
PamT

Best call center services said...

These are all amazing! I want one with a slide down it at the side, still a child at heart
inbound call center processg

Lillian J. Turner said...

Nice Blog. Thanks for sharing with us. Such amazing information.

Keep your eyes healthy with these best easy eye care tips