Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Saturday Spotlight - Death's Door by Gail Lukasik

Good Morning from Arizona!

Yep, you read that right, I am in Arizona this weekend. Drove up Thursday night and will be here for a few more days visiting family and friends.

Today I'm spotlighting Five Star author, Gail Lukasik's book, Death's Door (a Five Star Mystery).

A killer is targeting young blond women, leaving their strangled bodies along the desolate Mink River in Door County Wisconsin. The killer ritualistically arranges the bodies to mimic sleep, except for the long blond hair, brushed over their faces, and his deadly calling card—a purple band wound around the victim’s finger—a macabre symbol of love.

Reporter Leigh Girard’s investigation into the murders lures her into a bizarre correspondence with the killer. His letters taunt Leigh with cryptic literary clues that hint at his identity. Leigh races against time to crack the killer’s code, before he kills again.

Prologue

April, Twenty-three years earlier: Des Plaines, IL
Carol Sandinsky stood on the stoop of her apartment building staring at the spot where her daughter was last seen. Smoking a cigarette, she seemed not to notice the chill winds that whipped past her.
“When was the last time you saw Ashley?” the reporter from the Chicago Times asked.
“Like I told the cops, Friday, around seven. I was just getting ready to make dinner. I looked out the window to check on her. She was over there by that tree.” She pointed to a leafless tree near the curb.
“About forty minutes later the boys straggle in. Hungry, you know. I says to them, ‘Where’s Ash?’ But none of them knew.” She pushed back a strand of brown hair from her face. “I just had this strange feeling, and I said to my husband Mitch, ‘Mitch,’ I says, ‘I’m calling the cops.’ ”
“Can you give me a description of Ashley? What was she wearing when she disappeared?” the reporter asked.
“Ashley’s fourteen. She’s five-five and weighs about a hundred and fifteen pounds. She has long blond hair, curly-like, and blue eyes. That day she braided it and tied it off with one of them rubber bands with those glass balls. Purple colored. She likes the purple ones. She was wearing a light blue T-shirt, dark blue jeans and white sneakers.” Her voice had gone flat with the recitation.
“Did anyone else see her after you?”
“My husband, Ash’s daddy. He said he saw her sitting in her uncle’s car out front there by the tree. He told her to come in for dinner.”
“Was there anyone else around at the time? Her uncle, maybe?”
“Bill, that’s her uncle, my brother. He was inside watching a baseball game. No one else was out there.”
“What about your husband? How do he and Ashley get along?”
She crushed the cigarette out with the toe of her sneaker before she answered. “He loves his daughter. That answer your question?”
The reporter shifted from one foot to the other. “What were, are Ashley’s interests, outside of school?”
“Ashley’s real involved with sports—basketball, soccer. She’s also a member of the school choir. And she’s a straight-A student. Make sure you put that in. She’s a real good girl. I want people to know that about her. She’s never any trouble.”
“Sure. I’ll do that. Do you have any ideas what happened?” the reporter asked.
“It’s like she was sucked up into the sky. I’m just waiting here, hoping she’ll fly back.”

Death's Door is available @ Amazon (Kindle) and  Barnes & Noble.

Well Friends, that wraps up another week! Stay tuned next week for more Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and another Saturday Spotlight.

Until later take care & be blessed!
PamT

No comments: