Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

#WednesdayWordswithFriends Welcomes Shelly Genovese-Calhoun

Good Morning Friends,

Well, I'm starting to get and feel caught up after my Alaska trip. As we all know, it's wonderful to go but always blessed to be home. 

Today's guest is brought to us by Adams PR Group and I believe her story will inspire all of us so please welcome, Shelly Genovese-Calhoun!

Twenty years after her husband was killed in the North Tower of the World Trade Center on 9/11, Shelly Genovese Calhoun admits that the emotions of that day are still raw as each anniversary draws near. In her book, “Twice Blessed: A Journey of Hope through 9/11,” she shares her painful story of becoming a young widow and single mother to a sixteen-month-old daughter. But she also emphasizes the role her faith played to get her through the darkest days. 

“I would not wish upon anyone the pain, heartbreak, and emotional trauma that was thrust upon me when my husband and the father of my little girl died in the twin towers,” says Genovese Calhoun. “Year after year, as the date approaches, my body and mind attempt to go back to that place of fear and terror. I grieve, but not as those who have no hope. My journey of healing since that fateful day has been centered on the freedom from fear that God alone can offer.”  

Genovese Calhoun describes how friends and family surrounded her during that time.  

“It was very difficult for me to watch life go on as normal, when nothing in my life was normal,” says Genovese Calhoun. “I truly didn’t know how to go on living without him. The body of Christ was so unbelievable to me and prayed me through some unbearable times. More than I ever realized, God was always there. He is there to offer comfort in times of trouble and to give us hope when we feel hopeless. I hid myself in the Lord and I refused to lose faith. In return, my faith grew stronger.” 

Genovese Calhoun, who is now remarried, talks candidly in the book about the emotional turmoil of allowing herself to date other men years after her husband’s death.  It is something that is difficult for many widows to contemplate. 

“I believed Steve was the love of my life,” says Genovese Calhoun. “I just knew we would spend the rest of our lives together. I think if you’ve ever truly loved someone, you want that love back in your life. I was so afraid to allow myself to love again that I almost lost my chance at finding true love and happiness. But loving someone again doesn’t mean that you ever have to stop loving the other person. God will give you a big enough heart to love both.”

Shelly Genovese Calhoun is an author, speaker, wife and mother. A former fashion model, she represented East Texas in the Miss Texas USA pageant. During her modeling career, she worked for Anne Klein, Neiman Marcus, JCPenney, Panhandle Slim, Dillard and many other notable companies. She resides in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and is married to her best friend, Heath, and their two children. Daughter, Jacqueline, is a senior at Texas A&M University, and son, Cash, is a freshman in high school. For more information, visit www.TwiceBlessed911.com

Read more about Twice Blessed in Shelly's Q&A featured on Adams PR Group and check out the book trailer.


Thank you for sharing with us Shelly! I can certainly relate to being afraid to love again after losing the love of my life. 

As 9/11 approaches, let's remember to pray for those so intimately affected by that dark day in our History and to pray for our nation and leaders. 

Until next time, take care and God bless.

PamT

8 comments:

Barbara Britton said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your first husband, Genovese. I am happy that you found love again. Your book sounds like it will help others going through similar heartbreak. Blessings on your writing.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

So many wonderful people died on 9/11. Sorry for your loss and glad you found love again.

susan spess said...

My heart aches for you. I can only imagine the pain you felt as you watched the towers crumble. Life isn't easy, and the death of a loved one is even harder.
Only Christ can get us through the tough times.
So grateful for Him!

Suzy Parish said...

Genovese, thank you for being brave enough to share your pain in order to give others hope. I honor you and pray for your book to touch many people.

Shelly Genovese-Calhoun said...

Thank you!

Shelly Genovese-Calhoun said...

I don’t know how people can live in this world without the love of Jesus! He is our only hope!

Shelly Genovese-Calhoun said...

Thank you! I continue to pray that God will use it for His glory!

Mary Preston said...

Thank you for sharing!