Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

#TuesdayTreasures Guest Post by Marie Treanor

Good Morning and Welcome!

Today's guest is no stranger to our blog. Marie has shared thoughts with us and had our spotlight on her. She returns to share something she treasures....



Like most people, I consider my real treasures in life to be my family and friends. However, for many reasons – not least of which is that one’s own children are never half so interesting to anyone else - I’ve decided to concentrate on inanimate treasure, although it is connected to family.

This is a part of the treasure I want to share with you: a tea set bought in Japan in 1917 by my great uncle for his mother, and passed on, eventually, to me via his sister, my grandmother, and then my father,

All the time I knew her, my grandmother lived in a one-bedroom tenement flat, a positive treasure trove of dusty antiques and old books. The front room, which was never used, was stuffed full of large, Edwardian furniture – a piano, velvet upholstered dining chairs, an oak table and a tall, wide bookcase with glass doors. I’ve often regretted that when my parents were clearing the house, I didn’t have a place of my own to house this stuff. However, on my appeal, they did keep some of the books. 

And other treasure discovered in the walk-in cupboard, which included my great grandmother’s jewelry and, of course, the Japanese tea set, which my Dad remembered from his childhood.

My parents had it valued once, and apparently because there are a lot of these tea sets around still, it isn’t worth much in monetary terms. But I hope you can see from the photograph one of the reasons I treasure this is its sheer beauty. Egg-shell china in gorgeous colours, elegantly painted. As well as the cups and saucers, there are tea plates, a tea pot, a water pot and a sugar bowl. I love just looking at it. But I also love the family connection. It was bought by a young man I never knew, a merchant seaman who survived World War I, only to die at the age of 25 in the flu epidemic of 1919.

I have a photograph of “Uncle Johnny” and one of my great grandmother who was, by all accounts, a strong yet fun woman who helped bring up my Dad. So, while the tea set wouldn’t be quite such a great treasure to me without the family connection, it strengthens and enhances that connection, seems to bring me closer to my Dad’s beloved granny and to the son she lost so tragically.

Thanks, Pamela, for letting me share my treasure!

********

 Marie Treanor lives in Scotland, in a chaotic house by the sea, together with her eccentric husband, three much too smart children and a small dog who rules them all. Most days, she avoids both housekeeping and evil day jobs by writing stories of paranormal romance and fantasy. 

Marie is the award winning author of over forty paranormal romances - Indie, New York and E-published.

You can find out more about Marie and her books on her website: www.MarieTreanor.com.

Subscribe to her New Release Mailing List: http://www.marietreanor.com/marie-treanor-newsletter.  


Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarieTreanor 


Find Marie's latest book, Ghost in the Rain at the following locations:


Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll join us each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God bless.
PamT



7 comments:

Maureen said...

What a gorgeous treasure! I can see why it is so special to you.

Susan Coryell said...

Oh! So with you here! When my aunt passed away, she left a house full of family treasures. I acquired 6 quilts hand-sewn by my grandmother. One was her wedding quilt with 1897 embroidered on it and patches from Confederate home-spun uniforms sewn in. What treasures these family heirlooms are! Thanks for posting.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful treasure. It's the special things in life that count.

Marie Treanor said...

Hi, everyone! How nice to be here again! Pam, thank you for the kind welcome :)

Thank you, Maureen, so glad you like it. I'm not the best photographer in the world, but at least it gives an idea!

Hi Susan, Wow, your aunt's treasures sound amazing. I love to hear about things like that being passed on!

Marie

Diane Burton said...

Family treasures don't have to have monetary value to be valued. Lovely tea set.

Marie Treanor said...

Thanks, Kay and Diane - you're so right!
Marie

Linda said...

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.