Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, August 18, 2016

#ThursdayThoughts Guest post by Mark Wayne Allen

Good Morning Friends,

Today's guest needs no introduction. Mark has been here before so we welcome him back to share some thoughts with us....

Privacy Rights

The right of anyone to their own sense of privacy over their lives has been a matter of great debate in our legal system for a long time. Wait! Don't get your hackles up yet. This is not an article about laws, but a viewpoint of privacy for everyone.

I'll give you an example. I'm a quadriplegic and have been so for nearly 35-years. When I was initially injured, my parents, whom I was living with at the time, had some critical decisions to make. A major one was how to give me a normal life and free me from my limitations as much as possible.

Something that quickly became a major issue was privacy. I had to have someone clean my entire body, dress me, get me up, feed me, and everything that constitutes living except for breathe, sometimes that too. Yeah, times were rough for me then as they are for thousands of quadriplegics worldwide.

Anyway, I think all human beings have a right to privacy. The courts have repeatedly upheld an individuals privacy rights although the U. S. Constitution does not mandate it. I think it's been deemed by the courts as a human beings innate right, except in extreme cases, such as revealing sources of information in a murder trial, etc.

How did my parents give me privacy you ask? Well, they gave me time to myself when I asked and they each took on part of my life, like a tag team in wrestling, and they held my thoughts and actions private (that they would do on my behalf).

When you see someone in a chair next time, especially a quadriplegic, think about how they maintain their privacy. What honed skills they must they possess at managing their lives...  How could you help them? Think about how much you value your own privacy. I think you'll have a new appreciation what it means to you and others.

-Mark Wayne Allen

Thanks, Mark....that's definitely something to think about!

Mark Wayne Allen was born in Merryvillle, Louisiana where he now resides, but has lived in many states. Due to life tragedies, he is a quadriplegic.

A love of books inspired him to write down his own stories, which, over the years, has evolved to include all categories. From poetry to short stories to novels, his knowledge of the craft grew over time, and so did his love for it.

He wrote two short stories and several poems that were published in a short-lived e-zine called Dementia. In 2013, he published the science fiction book Star Siege which was written during his years at Louisiana State University. Since then, he has placed in several contests since and even had a first place poem. He writes regularly for The Voice Of Southwest Louisiana Magazine.

Having lived in the North, South, East, and West has given him the opportunity to talk with a diverse group of people as well as an appreciation for different cultures. Currently, he lives with his wife of many years, Kelley, and is an active part of the community. You can keep up with Mark through his Website,Facebook and Twitter.

Mark's brand new book, 3 Lifetimes in 1 is available through Amazon in Paperback and on Kindle!

Hope you enjoyed today's thoughts. Check back each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts, and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time...take care and God Bless.
PamT

7 comments:

Unknown said...

For 11 wonderful years now, I've enjoyed marriage to a wonderful woman. Sharing private thoughts and actions with her has been great! It still leaves with a personal privacy matter, but I've adapted.

Leah St. James said...

Of all the issues I've thought about related to physical challenges (although that is far too mild a phrase to ascribe to quadriplegia...so my apologies for that), I'd never considered the privacy angle. Thank you for sharing your perspective, Mark. I'm so glad you have a wonderful wife who shares your life. As Pamela might say, "Gods blessings" to you both.

Tanya Hanson said...

Wonderful post, Mark. I am a very private person in my way too...God bless you and your writing!

Nightingale said...

Very insightful post!

Marissa Garner said...

Thought-provoking article. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love my privacy, which I view it as a blessing rather than a right. I think technology and government are taking it away from us. Thank you for your post, Mark.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

My husband and I are very close, but we do give each other privacy when we want it. We each have our own interests. It makes life more satisfying and interesting.

Mark, wishing you all the best in life and with your work.