Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, May 24, 2018

#ThursdayThoughts with Susan Coryell

Good Morning!

You'll notice there was no Tuesday Treasures this week. My scheduled guest could not make it and I was busy visiting with dear friends and colleagues and travelling that I did not have time to improvise.

Never fear though, we'll get back on track ASAHP.

Anyway, today's guest visited us last month to share her new book so please give Susan Coryell a huge "welcome back!"

Take it away Susan.....

“Something uplifting,” Pamela said. Oddly enough, I have just returned from my father-in-law’s funeral and I have to say it was amazingly uplifting. He lived past his 99th birthday, and even though he spent his last ten years in a “memory unit” at an assisted living facility, the man remained a full-on optimist. He once said, “Losing your memory is not so terrible; I have no recollection of anything bad that happened to me.”

At the celebration-of-life service in the chapel of the facility, speakers remembered him as loving, giving, hard-working, thoughtful and faithful to his beliefs. But I shall always smile fondly on his never-ending positive view of life. Days before he passed away, he had stopped eating. Looking at a care-giver who was trying to entice him to sample his lunch, he smiled and said, “You are a very attractive young woman, but I’m not eating that.” This is what I will remember about my father-in-law.

Fascinated by the grandparents I have known, I like to include older characters in my writing. In my Southern Gothic/cozy mystery Overhome Trilogy, I rely on my elderly characters to be archivists of the history that backs the contemporary action in an historic Virginia plantation. In A Red, Red Rose, http://a.co/5kbhtmD

Abe Murley and Miss Emma Coleville, both of whom have lived on Overhome estate most of their lives, are key to the young protagonist’s mystery solving. Both are active, canny seniors.
For the second novel of the series, Beneath the Stones, http://a.co/hPHeCNP Abe has passed away, but Miss Emma continues to guide protagonist Ashby in her quest to resolve the conflicts of dealing with an angry ghost.

Miss Emma appears in the third novel, Nobody Knows, http://a.co/46qyM2d to reveal a past Ashby had never considered possible.

The main character for my new release, A Murder of Principle, is a somewhat jaded, but still empathetic middle-aged high school teacher whom I contrast with her wide-eyed rooky intern. http://a.co/az2wMVN  

Though I read many books involving solely new-adult characters, I will always include in my writings those who have been tested by time and survived to live a rich and interesting life.

Thanks to Pamela for inviting me to share my thoughts on her awesome blog!

Thanks for sharing, Susan!

About Susan: A career educator, Susan Coryell has taught students from 7th grade through college-level. She earned a BA degree in English from Carson-Newman College and a Masters from George Mason University. She is listed in several different volumes of Who’s Who in Education and Who’s Who in Teaching.  Coryell belongs to Author’s Guild, Virginia Writers, and Lake Writers. She loves to talk with budding writers at schools, writers’ conferences and workshops. Her young adult anti-bully novel EAGLEBAIT is in its third edition for print and e-book, updated with cyber-bullying. EAGLEBAIT won the NY Public Library's "Books for the Teen Age," and the International Reading Association's "Young Adult Choice." Find out more by visiting her website and connecting with her on Facebook.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll check back weekly for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God bless.
PamT

12 comments:

Susan Coryell said...

I appreciate Pamela's offering me a guest spot today. My blog made me think and I hope it makes others consider what is "uplifting" in their lives.

Patricia Kiyono said...

People with positive attitudes help us to remain positive. Your father-in-law sounds like a man who uplifted many people. Thanks for sharing!

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Susan,

Your father-in-law sounds to have been a very fine man indeed. It is lovely that you celebrated his life with us. We all need to remain positive. Wishing you much success with you new mystery novel which I so much enjoyed reading and recommend to others.

Diane Burton said...

You are so fortunate to have had a great father-in-law. I was, too. Whenever anyone complained about getting old, he would say it beats the alternative. He was a great man and taught his son to be one, too.

Susan Coryell said...

Patricia, Jacqueline and Diane thanks so much for your comments. I think we can all relate to a beloved elder's passing and enjoy the good memories that linger forever.

Alina K. Field said...

Some of the most youthful people I know are old in years, and some of the most rigid and set in their ways are technically "young". How wonderful that you such a good man in your life.

Kara O'Neal said...

What a beautiful memory you have of your father-in-law, and I like his positive thinking concerning his memory loss. That is one thing to be glad about if it happens. I enjoy your books. Your attention to detail and the historical aspects are my favorite parts about your writing. I also enjoy how you marry the past with the present in the Overhome Trilogy.

Darcy Flynn said...

Thank you for sharing your memories, Susan. Your father-in-law sounds like he was a very special man and a blessing in your life.

Susan Coryell said...

Alaina, Kara and Darcy:
I appreciate your comments! How fortunate we are when we can keep the good memories to sustain us when our loved ones have passed on. And Kara, thanks so much for your kind words about my books. I enjoy your writing, especially your settings and characters!

Marissa Garner said...

Great post. Your FIL sounds truly special.

Alicia Dean said...

Oh, wow. What a lovely post. He sounds like a great man, and I love his outlook. 99...that's quite an accomplishment. I'm sure you hold wonderful memories in your heart. I can definitely see your affection for the elderly in your wonderful books. Hugs and best wishes!

Susan Coryell said...

Marissa and Alicia: I appreciate your comments! Special my FIL definitely was and, Alicia, I did use him as a prototype for Abe at times in my cozies. Thanks, you guys!