Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Saturday, May 19, 2018

#SaturdaySpotlight is on Emily Conrad and Justice!

Good Morning from OK City, OK!

I am with my friend Nona Cross at a Donald Maass workshop put on by OKRWA and so very excited to be here!

A couple of months ago I introduced you to a brand new Pelican Book Group author, Emily Conrad with her debut title, Justice. Emily shared treasures and thoughts with us but, today we're getting a sneak peek into the book. And, since it is my birthday I'm giving away an E-copy of the book to one lucky person who leaves a comment!

Take it away Emily.....

Jake thought he was meant to marry Brooklyn, but now she's pregnant, and he had nothing to do with it. Brooklyn can’t bring herself to name the father as she wrestles with questions about what her pregnancy means and how it will affect her relationship with Jake. If Harold Keen, the man who owns the bookstore across from Jake's coffee shop, has anything to do with it, the baby will ruin them both.

Excerpt: Brooklyn’s mouth pulled into a tight grimace. For two months, sadness had infused her expression whenever she didn’t seem to think he’d notice, but this was the first time she’d failed to tuck it away when he was obviously watching.

This could be the answer to his prayer that she would open up again. He led her a few steps away to a space by the display shelves. “You want to talk?”

A collection of tears glittered in her eyes. “I haven’t been as good as I’ve been acting.”

He would wrap her in the hug of her life, but their friendship rarely crossed the border of touch. He tried a gentle smile instead. “That’s a problem. Because you haven’t been acting very good.”

A laugh caught in her throat.

He put his hand on her shoulder and guided her to the rear corner of the first floor, where she could sit with her back to everyone.

Even wrapped in privacy, she stared toward the wall and picked at her fingernails. “I planned what to say to you.” Her voice quieted. “But I don’t think I can do it.”

His relief morphed into dread. What could be this bad? Father, don’t let me mess this up. “Just tell me the script. What’d you plan to say?”

“I need a ride to a doctor’s appointment.” She spoke in a flat tone.

He wanted to play along and say his lines, too, but all this over an illness? If she’d been sick since her mood froze over in January and couldn’t drive herself, it was serious. His dad’s problems had started this way—an appointment followed by a cancer diagnosis, months of treatment and supposed remission, and, finally, a funeral.

Brooklyn searched his eyes, tense sadness weighing down her features.

He kept his gaze trained on her beautiful, worried face. Maybe this appointment was something simple. He had to believe it, or he couldn’t ask. “What kind of appointment?”

Brooklyn swallowed, neck ridged. “I’m three weeks late.”

“To the appointment?”

“My body. My body is three weeks late.”

“Your body…” Then it hit him. She thinks she’s pregnant. How had he not understood sooner?

****
Oh wow, wow, wow...I can't wait to read this one Emily!

Emily Conrad lives in Wisconsin with her husband and two rescue dogs. She loves Jesus and enjoys road trips to the mountains, crafting stories, and drinking coffee. (It’s no coincidence her debut novel is set mostly in a coffee shop!) She offers free short stories on her website and loves to connect with readers on social media.




Justice can be found at Amazon, B&N and PBG!


Remember friends, I am giving away an E-copy of Justice to one lucky person who comments so good luck to each of you!

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll join me each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God bless.
PamT

15 comments:

Emily Conrad said...

Oh, a giveaway! I didn't realize you were planning that. How cool! Thanks so much for having me and Jake and Brooklyn on your blog today. Happy birthday, and enjoy that conference!

Amber Marie :) said...

Emily is an amazing author! Also- happy birthday!

Paty Hinojosa said...

I would love to read this book!!

Unknown said...

This was like visiting old friends! I loved reading Justice and can't wait for more from Emily Conrad!

kaybee said...

A good setup, Emily. Love to read it.
Kathy Bailey

Marissa Garner said...

Loved the excerpt. Best of luck with your book!

Emily Conrad said...

Thanks Amber and Robyn! Yes, seeing this excerpt is like visiting with old friends for me, too! :)

Thank you, ladies, for stopping by! I hope you enjoy Justice if you read it!

Alina K. Field said...

What an interesting premise! And happy birthday, Pamela!

PinkGranny said...

I like the story line! Thank you for a good review. As a reader, I rely on good reviews, good authors and friendly sharing of favorite books. I think this is a good addition to my collection!

Carol James said...

Looking forward to reading this, Emily.

Mary A Felkins said...

I was taught to assure there is justice of some kind in every book you write, whether suspense or contemporary romance. Given your premise, there's a lot of room for justice to be done. The title alone is satisfying and promises a satisfying happily ever after ending.

Emily Conrad said...

Hi Mardell and Carol! I hope you enjoy the story!

Mary--YES! A sense of justice is important in a story. We don't always see it play out in our lives, but we can trust God is at work. I hope readers will come away satisfied with the way justice in the story plays out!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thank you ALL for stopping by, supporting Emily and for the Birthday Wishes!
Good luck and God's blessings to you ALL
PamT

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

PS: Congrats to Amber Marie!
You've won a copy of Justice

I'll be emailing you soon
PamT

Amber Marie :) said...

Wahoo! Thank you.