Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

#TuesdayTreasure Guest post by Kim Vogel Sawyer!

Good Morning!

Today's guest has shared thoughts with us before, but it has been a while so PLEASE welcome Kim Vogel Sawyer with something she treasures....

There are two shadow boxes hanging on the wall in one of our guests rooms, and those shadow boxes contain some of my most beloved possessions: my maternal grandmother’s wedding dress and a pair of brooches purchased by my paternal grandmother as gifts for my step-grandma. My step-grandma must have treasured these, because she kept them her whole life (you can see the note she wrote inside the box lid).

Both of my grandmothers died when my parents were children, long before I was born, so I never met either of them. Fortunately, I had the privilege of a loving step-grandma who had been a good friend to my grandmother, so she told me stories about Lillian. Family members on my mother’s side told me about Elizabeth.

When writing Bringing Maggie Home, especially when writing the scenes between Hazel (the grandmother) and Meghan (the granddaughter), I often thought about my grandmothers. I gave Hazel some of their characteristics—creativity, compassion, strong faith. Some of the advice Hazel gives to Meghan came from words of wisdom passed to me from my dear step-grandma. Thus, I was able to honor all three women in the story.

Someday I will meet my grandmothers and be reunited with my step-grandma, but for now I’m grateful for the treasures in the shadow boxes.

Oh wow, Kim...definitely something to treasure! Makes me think of the shadow boxes we created after my husband's death.

Kim Vogel Sawyer is a highly acclaimed, best-selling author with more than one million books in print, in several different languages. Her titles have earned numerous accolades including the ACFW Carol Award, the Inspirational Readers Choice Award, and the Gayle Wilson Award of Excellence. Kim lives in central Kansas with her retired military husband Don, where she continues to write gentle stories of hope and redemption. She enjoys spending time with her three daughters and grandchildren.


Find out more about Kim at http://www.kimvogelsawyer.com/



Decades of loss, an unsolved mystery, and a rift spanning three generations

Hazel DeFord is a woman haunted by her past. While berry picking in a blackberry thicket in 1943, ten-year old Hazel momentarily turns her back on her three-year old sister Maggie and the young girl disappears.

Almost seventy years later, the mystery remains unsolved and the secret guilt Hazel carries has alienated her from her daughter Diane, who can’t understand her mother’s overprotectiveness and near paranoia. While Diane resents her mother’s inexplicable eccentricities, her daughter

Meghan—a cold case agent—cherishes her grandmother’s lavish attention and affection.
When a traffic accident forces Meghan to take a six-week leave-of-absence to recover, all three generations of DeFord women find themselves unexpectedly under the same roof. Meghan knows she will have to act as a mediator between the two headstrong and contentious women. But when they uncover Hazel’s painful secret, will Meghan also be able to use her investigative prowess to solve the family mystery and help both women recover all that’s been lost?

Learn more and purchase a copy.

Hope you enjoyed today's guest and that you'll drop by each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God Bless.
PamT

9 comments:

Alina K. Field said...

What beautiful memories you have there. Best of luck with the book!

Darcy Flynn said...

Lovely post, ladies. I have a few shadow boxes in my home. My favorite is the one I made of my son’s high school track and field accomplishments.

MaryAnn Diorio, PhD, MFA said...

What precious treasures, Kim! I met my maternal grandmother only once, when I was seven years old. I never had the honor of meeting my paternal grandfather. So I can empathize with the sense of loss you feel. Yet, God always comforts us in ways we don't expect. In your case, it was your wonderful step-grandma. And, as you so rightly say, one day we will meet our grandparents in Heaven. Oh, what joy we will experience!

As a bonus blessing, you have written a treasured story, birthed out of your loss. Our Lord redeems everything, doesn't He? I, too, have written out of my losses. As is always the case with Jesus, He turns our losses into great gains! Praise His Holy Name!


Many Blessings,

MaryAnn

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

What wonderful treasures. I have some and hope my boys will cherish them one day. I always say I don't want to look down from heaven and see my needlepoint at Good will.

Diane Burton said...

I love how you've preserved those precious momentos. I never thought of shadowboxes to showcase some of my treasures. Thanks for the idea. Wishing you much success.

Alicia Dean said...

OH wow, how very special! I can see why you treasure them. The way you've displayed them in the shadow boxes is lovely and smart. :) Your book sounds wonderful!

Kara O'Neal said...

This is a beautiful story, and I'm sure it was hard and also joyous to write. I miss my grandparents every day. Thank you for sharing.

Erin Unger said...

Bringing Maggie Home sounds like a fantastic read. Nice interview!

Kim Vogel Sawyer said...

Alina, thank you for the well wishes.

Darcy, aren't shadowboxes a wonderful invention? Smart idea for your son's prized medals!

Vicki, my mom always tells me to burn the family photos so they don't end up in an antique store! Haha!

MaryAnn, the assurance of Heaven is such a gift.

Diane, thank you for the kind wish!

Kara, I think I enjoy being a gramma so much because I know how important they are.

Erin, I hope you'll pick up a copy of Bringing Maggie Home--it's a special book to me!