Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

#WednesdayWordswithFriends welcomes Lisa K Simonds

Good Morning and Welcome to the Last Wednesday Words with Friends post of Jan. 2020!

I don't even know what to say about that friends. The last Wednesday in Jan. 2020?! One minute I feel like the year is half over and the other I'm relieved it's only January LOL!

Next week I'll announce the winner of this month's gift card so leave a comment and you'll be entered into the drawing!

Meanwhile, please welcome Lisa K Simonds back to our blog. She was in our spotlight earlier this month but today she's sharing some thoughts on Networking. Take it away, Lisa.....

Networking

Ugh.

"Networking" is one of those words like "platform" that can make a girl cringe. But networking needn't be a chore, and you don't have to be a glad-hander who feigns enthusiasm to be successful at it.

We all know writing is solitary work. It's just you and the pages. In that way, writing isn't so different from my former profession, air traffic control. When I was a controller, I alone was responsible for a bit of airspace - my blank page, if you will. I alone decided how the airplanes moved across my sector. I might climb or descend them. I might turn them one way or another. Or I might just let them go on their way. It all depended on the big picture. Controllers have to keep the big picture in mind, lest they solve one problem and create three worse ones. Sound familiar?

Even though it was just me and the airspace, we never worked in a vacuum. Neither do you and your pages.

I learned early in my air traffic career that I was part of a community in which I needed to give a little to get a little. Sometimes that looked like accepting extra aircraft that needed to be diverted from an overloaded route. Even when I was already busy. Sometimes it looked like noticing an aircraft heading toward my boundary that had not been handed off and reaching out to the controller working the airplane with a "Radar contact!" Thus saving them from violating my airspace, which would have meant trouble in those days.

Networking means give and take among writers too.

It looks like Pamela Thibodeaux giving me guest spots on her Saturday Spotlight (4 Jan 2020) and Wednesday Words with Friends today. It looked like her reading and reviewing my debut novel, ALL IN. Thank you, Pamela! She offered these gifts freely. We did not barter. Yet the gifts formed a more meaningful connection between us than a simple barter exchange would have. One that enriched my writing community, and I hope hers too. In the back of my mind is the desire to reciprocate in some manner. Not out of obligation, but to keep the gift going.

Years ago, a colleague told me relationships are like wells. Sometimes you need to draw water out, so it's a good idea to put water in the well every chance you get. That way, there'll be plenty in reserve when you need it.

Be the person who puts water in the well. Before you know it, your reputation will precede you and gather opportunities to bring your way.

"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” John 7:38

Wow...thank you, Lisa for giving us your perspective on networking! You're right, it's more about building relationships and communities than anything else.

Good luck and God's blessings with your writing.

L. K. Simonds is a Fort Worth local. She has worked as a waitress, KFC hostess, telephone marketer, assembly-line worker, nanny, hospital lab technician, and air traffic controller. She's an instrument-rated pilot and an alumna of Christ for the Nations Institute in Dallas. All In is her first novel, released from Morgan James Publishing in August 2019 and can be purchased at Amazon. Watch the book trailer HERE and check out this Bookmates4inmates Story video.

You can connect with Lisa at the following locations....


Hope you enjoyed today's post friends and that you'll check back weekly for Wednesday Words with Friends and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God bless!
PamT

5 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi Lisa,

I also believe that networking is important. I feel that I've extended my number of friends among fellow writers with whom I have much in common. The internet does make that possible. Wishing you much success with your own writing.

Barbara M. Britton said...

Great interview, Lisa. I don't know where I would be without my network of writing friends. They keep me going strong. Congratulations on your release.

L. K. Simonds said...

Thank you, Jacqueline and Barbara! I appreciate you reading the article and especially appreciate your well wishes. Wishing you all the very best in your writing too! Lisa

Kara O'Neal said...

You are completely right. Forging friendships is what makes networking possible. It also makes it easier. I love the image of the well. Perfect description of what being a friend is like.

Alina K. Field said...

This is so true. It's great to have friends who understand this business and will lend (and ask for) a helping hand!