Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

#WednesdayWordswithFriends guest Kathy Bailey

Good Morning and Welcome to the first Wednesday in October!

I'm still reeling with disbelief. Where has the time gone? The old adage, 'time flies when you're having fun' keeps running through my head and I have to admit, I did have some fun this year but seriously? It's OCTOBER already?!

Whew! I sure hope we can look back at this year and say we had lots of fun and did lots of good things. Look back and count blessings not trials or disappointments.

Anyway, speaking of time, my friend and fellow Pelican Book Group author, Kathy Baily returns and is sharing some tips on Time Management....

Time Management, I loved you. I loved being efficient, making more than one thing happen at once, and the elusive “being productive.” I LOVED balancing my checkbook in the doctor’s waiting room and folding laundry during a phone call. I relished using every bit of time, like my ancestors used every bit of scrap fabric in a quilt. Well, actually, my people knitted afghans, but I feel a kinship with quilters anyway. Nothing went to waste.

And that’s how it was with you, Time Management. We were a good fit. But now it’s time to break up.

The most I ever remember doing was four things at once: nursing my baby, supervising my toddler in the tub, drying laundry (the dryer was located in the bathroom) and reading my Bible for devotions. I prided myself on being able to do, well, a lot of things. I had two children under 3, no money, and my husband was a full-time church pastor. If I didn’t “do,” it resulted in disaster.

I carried this into the rest of my adult life. Why not sew on Girl Scout badges during the district convention, or read a magazine during the movie previews? Didn’t everybody?

Hey, why NOT do paperwork while my mother lay dying in a hospital room? I was there if she needed me.

I was brought up short – but only barely – when a friend from my old neighborhood came to visit me in my new house. I welcomed her, we made tea in the teapot she brought me for a housewarming gift, and then we settled down for a talk. But I couldn’t just “talk.” I brought out some mending, and stitched merrily away until she asked, “Am I keeping you from something?”

That one changed me, at least as far as multitasking with other people went. I realized how rude that must have seemed, and now, when I have company, I have company. But I continued to juggle projects in private, and to justify it. I read everything I could get my hands (um, my one free hand) on regarding time management, even when, technically, I didn’t have to do it anymore.

I wish my wake-up call had been something less mundane and more spiritual. But I didn’t come to my time-management senses until I hung a purple Nine West bag too near the stove and then proceeded to turn on the WRONG burner, thus scorching a pan beyond use and setting fire to the purse. I don’t remember how many things I was doing that day or what they were. I just knew I had to change.

I’m well out of the active-parenting stage, and I don’t have the time demands pulling on me that I had as a young mother. I do a lot, I have a lot done to me, but it can all be done in sequence. I have no little ones or medium-ones tugging on me, nobody’s bleeding, nobody needs me to feed them or wash their faces or hold them till they sleep.

But I’m thinking even young mothers, or dads, don’t need to time-manage as aggressively as I once did. Children need our attention, and I’m prouder now of the time I did spend with my children than the time I spent “accomplishing” things. Especially since I can’t remember what those “important” things were.

Will I still fold laundry while on a long phone call, or address Christmas cards in front of the television? Most likely. And I’ll probably still haul around a “project bag” for waiting rooms. It is as heavy as the weights at the gym, and I don’t have to pay for it.

But more and more, it’s impressed on me that some things are too precious, or fragile, for double-duty. They deserve my full attention. Friends, my great-nieces and first great-nephew, my husband. Church. (I once made out a Christmas list during a sermon.) And for safety’s sake, anything with an open flame.

And if I had my parents back, I would just sit and look at them for one last time. Without “managing” my own time, because there will never be enough of it.


Time management, we had a good run, but it’s over. I don’t, well, have time for you any more.
                
What’s YOUR worst multitasking blunder, and when did you realize you were doing too much?
                
And what’s your best time management tip?


Great post Kathy! I still get asked how I do everything I do. Being organized is the key to time management for me. I have a monthly planner on my desk and EVERYTHING gets written down in it!

Kathleen Bailey is a journalist and novelist with 40 years’ experience in the nonfiction, newspaper and inspirational fields. Born in 1951, she was a child in the 50s, a teen in the 60s, a young adult in the 70s and a young mom in the 80s. It’s been a turbulent, colorful time to grow up, and she’s enjoyed every minute of it and written about most of it.

She attended a mixture of public and parochial schools, graduating from the University of New Hampshire in 1974 with a bachelor’s degree in English Literature. She married the Rev. David W. Bailey in 1977, and they lived in Colorado, Wisconsin and Michigan before returning to their home state of New Hampshire. They are the parents of two adult daughters.

She has worked as both a staff and freelance journalist. She semi-retired in 2017, in order to devote herself to a growing interest in Christian fiction. She has won or finaled in several contests, including the 2018 American Christian Fiction Writers Genesis contest. Her debut novel, “Westward Hope,” will be published Sept. 20, 2019 by Pelican/White Rose Publishers.

Bailey’s work includes both historical and contemporary fiction, with an underlying thread of men and women finding their way home, to Christ and each other.

For more information, contact her at ampie86@comcast.net; @piechick1 on Twitter; Kathleen D. Bailey on Facebook and LinkedIn; or at www.kathleendbailey.weebly.com.

Kathy's new book, Westward Hope can be purchased at Amazon for Kindle, and Pelican Book Group in Ebook and Print!

Hope you enjoyed today's post friends and that you'll stop by weekly for Wednesday Words with Friends and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God bless.
PamT

10 comments:

kaybee said...

Pam, it is good to be here. I enjoy meeting kindred spirits through blogging.
Just back from ACFW conference in San Antonio and it went well despite my having a head cold all week. Hopped up on cold medication during my agent appointments, hope something got through. Combined it with a vacation with my husband, and we enjoyed exploring the city, the Alamo and the amazing Riverwalk.
I look forward to chatting with you about time management, books or whatever.
Kathleen D. Bailey
A Home For the Heart
"Westward Hope" available now

Erin Unger said...

I, too, was a time management guru for years until I hit 40. But now I just can't seem to manage it anymore. Thanks for a great post and reminder that some things and some people really do need our undivided attention. I needed to hear that.

Organization is definitely the most important thing to time management. I have a phone app where I keep all upcoming events and chores. It keeps me on track.

Alina K. Field said...

This post really resonated with me. I'm trying to discipline myself to do one thing at a time, and to leave time for just nothing!

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Hi,

I also managed small children, taught school, got two graduate degrees and was involved with all my children's activities. But I had the help of a wonderful husband.Nowadays, I am retired and can spend time writing novels and short stories.

Gail Pallotta said...

As a multi-tasker, I enjoyed the post very much. As I've grown older, as you, I've cut down on the multi-tasking, but I'm still busy. One thing I like to do when I'm tired and really don't want to multi-task is turn on the washing machine and do one other thing. Overall, I pray that I'll spend my time on things that matter.

Kara O'Neal said...

I've been in this same situation and realized that it might seem rude to work while visiting. I have a hard time stopping. I'm so busy that I almost can't do one thing at a time. But I know I need to. It's healthier for one thing and kinder to my family. Thank you for the post!

Nightingale said...

I remember those days with two small ones! But it sounds like you had it down to a science. Great post.

kaybee said...

Thanks for all the great comments. What I believe is that God gives us different time management skills for different times in our lives. I like what Gail said, "spending the time on things that matter." Sometimes you gotta do stuff, but we all need to know when to turn it off.
KB

kaybee said...

Besides, multitasking can be DANGEROUS. (See above, stove fire.)
KB

Alicia Dean said...

So sorry I'm late. Great post. I try to multi task as often as I can. LOL. I had to laugh at your 'rudeness'. When my kids come to hang out, sometimes I'm tempted to work on edits while they are there, because I can still chat with them, but they do NOT like that, so I don't. :) Wishing you the best!