Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, August 30, 2018

#ThursdayThoughts with Kathy Bailey

Good Morning!

Been a crazy few weeks for me. On the 12th my dad and I flew to AK to visit my brother and his family including a brand new grandbaby (for him, great for dad and great niece for me). We returned on the 21st and on the 22nd I embarked on moving. Hopefully, September will be somewhat quieter LOL!

As you well know it is always a pleasure to bring you a brand new author and today is no exception!

Kathy Bailey is a newly contracted author with Pelican Book Group. Her upcoming novel, an Oregon Trail romance with a reunion & secret baby will be out sometime next year, meanwhile, please give her a great big welcome as she shares some thoughts with us on doubt....



            I have always loved the story of the Apostle Thomas, maybe too much. You remember Tom, the follower of Jesus who didn’t believe the breathless, glowing reports from the Empty Tomb. Who had to touch the nail prints and put his own hand against Jesus’s shattered side before he believed.  But when he did, that was that and he went on to win a portion of the known world to his Lord. I’m a little bit of a skeptic, I like to touch and see and hear and smell, and so Thomas’s story always connects with me.
            It’s easy to doubt in the current literary climate. Publishing houses merging, lines and imprints closing, and the dreaded “platform” requirements. (I was scared of “platform” until someone explained to me that it’s basically talking to people on line about what I love, which is writing.) While self-publishing has shed its stigma and smaller boutique publishers are filling a niche, writing fiction is still one of life’s riskier propositions. Ten editors can say “no” without drawing blood once, but do you really want to face an eleventh?
Here are some times when I doubt:
1. When I receive a rejection.
2. When I receive contest feedback that doesn't "get" the story. I'm usually pretty good about contests and taking my lumps, but occasionally the judge and I are not on the same page. Possibly not on the same planet.
3. When I'm away from the keyboard for too long and I let the doubts take over because I have nothing else to think about. IF I’m writing, there is always hope.
4. When I read something that is much, much better than I could have done, at least at this stage of my career.
5. Used to be, when an online or physical friend signed with an agent or publishing house that I hadn't had success with, or when someone got published in a relatively short amount of time. I've grown out of that, I realize that in today's market a success for one is a success for the rest of us. A metaphorical rising tide lifts all Christian fiction boats.
6. Whenever I try to do it myself instead of depending on the Lord, and His timing.
I'm contracted now but still feel doubts. Am I a one-trick pony? Am I a pony at all? We'll see.
My husband is an ordained elder in our denomination, and has served several churches in various capacities. He often quotes his first pastor and mentor who told him, “Be very certain of your call. There will be times when it’s all you’ve got.” The same can be said of the call to write. The world will knock you down, if it notices you at all. You’ll deal with unfair business decisions, such as a line closing the week after you sell to them, and the whims and idiosyncrasies of others. It’s a subjective business. It’s a crazy business. It’s an inexact science.
And if you’re called to write Christian fiction, it’s your business.
There will be times you doubt, and each of us has his or her own way of overcoming doubt. For me, nothing works better than powering my way through. Write something. Write anything. Cull out what was good, and write it again.
Keep an encouragement file with a record of your sales, contest finals or anything else that gives you hope.
Get on your knees, then get back to the keyboard.
The Apostle Thomas went on to preach in Greece and India, founding a Christian sect in India that continues to this day. He gave his life for his faith in 72 AD. He overcame his doubts, gloriously, and fulfilled his call.

Wow, Kathy we all go through doubt...great thoughts!
Now, here's a little more about Kathy in her own word....

            I’m a freelance writer with 35 years’ experience in the nonfiction, newspaper and inspirational fields.  Born in 1951, I was a child in the 50s, a teen in the 60s, a young adult in the 70s, and a young mom in the 80s.  It’s been a turbulent, colorful time to grow up, and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it and written about most of it.  I spent 35 years in print journalism, magazines and newspapers, before semi-retiring to pursue my first love, Christian fiction. My debut novel, an Oregon Trail romance not yet titled, will release Sept. 20, 2019 with Pelican/White Rose Publishing.  I’ve finaled in the 2014 Unpublished Maggies, 2015Tara Awards (first in my category), 2015 Lone Star Awards, semi-finaled in the 2015 Genesis Awards, was the overall winner in the 2016 Phoenix Rattler contest, finaled in the 2017 Phoenix Rattler and Indiana Golden Opportunity, and am a finalist in this year’s Genesis contest.
            I can be reached at ampie86@comcast.net; through my Web site, www.kathleendbailey.weebly.com, through Facebook or LinkedIn. 
Hope you enjoyed today's post and you'll check back often for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.
Until next time, take care and God bless.
PamT

7 comments:

kaybee said...

Pam, great to be here and thank you for having me. Interested to hear how other people deal with doubt, which can permeate every aspect of our lives!
Kathy Bailey

kaybee said...

Also interested to hear if any Pelican authors are going to ACFW. Would love to meet you.

Barbara M. Britton said...

Hi Kathy,

Congrats on your contract. This writing business is full of rejection and it's tough to go through it with something so personal as your own story. When you publish, you have to deal with bad reviews which can feel like rejection. Remember, not all stories are for all readers.
We write what we feel called to compose.
All the best to you!

kaybee said...

Thank you, Barbara. Yes, we have to develop thick skins and at the same time remain sensitive, which is quite a balancing act. And also be wise as serpents and harmless as doves! Good to hear from you. BTW, I appreciate your leadership in posting people's blog links or tweets. I do not tweet so that's out, but I frequently follow the blog links which is how I found Pam. We really do need to support each other. Thanks for stopping by.

kaybee said...

Going out now, be back later.

Kelly Goshorn said...

Hi Kathy, Congrats on your contest successes! I loved the comparison with Thomas. He speaks to me also as a fellow skeptic! LOL! I love the quote by Theodore Roosevelt, "comparison is the thief of joy." Nothing will suck the joy out of our calling faster than comparing ourselves to the apparent success of others. Love the inspirational reminder to keep our head focused on our work and our heart on the Lord and His calling for our lives.

kaybee said...

Kelly, thanks for stopping by. Comparison really is the thief of joy, Teddy R. was right AGAIN, we just need to be who we are in Christ and write what he wants us to. And we debut authors need to support each other! Thanks again for your comment.