Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, October 8, 2015

#ThursdayThoughts with Melanie Purifoy!

Good Morning Friends,

Tuesday I introduced you to my friend, Melanie Purifoy who shared her treasured relationships with us.

Today Melanie is sharing some thoughts on Invisible vs Transparency....

There is a great deal of talk from a political perspective of illegal immigrants, public assistance benefits, and financial aid recipients. We boldly socialize in small groups and discuss our version of how to clean up this mess of a country we live in. No, these are not my thoughts on a political platform. I want to discuss people. Human beings. The invisible population that gets overlooked with even a kind word or eye contact on a day-to-day basis because we are not comfortable people with differences among us. Maybe we are afraid.  Whatever our reasons, everyone deserves to be seen, to be touched by random kindness from the people that surround them.

Recently my youngest daughter went to work in a very nice bank building in the downtown area of Indianapolis. She is required to wear business attire and is all over the building during her work day. During her first week she saw the custodian working near the bank of elevators and smiled and said hello. He replied with “Hola” and a big smile. They found each other on breaks and began to exchange pleasantries in brief meetings. Brooke found out that Carlos, a native Guatemalan, spoke very little English and at best, Spanglish. She searched for a translation app on her iPhone so she could communicate with him more easily. And they began to take their breaks and teach each other their native language. It is a precious friendship. Just a few days ago Carlos texted Brooke while she was at my house visiting and after translating it from Spanish to English in her app, the message went something like this.

“I want you to know that you are my only American friend. No one else has tried to communicate with me and most do not even see me. I have become invisible in this country. Your friendship means a great deal to me and you are a very special young woman.” This brought tears to both our eyes at the feelings that were behind these words.

Life is precious and we never know who our next insight or lesson will come from. I do know this. I am committed to conquering my limited beliefs of others.   At times, as I forge through my discomfort, my compassion and understanding grows immensely for others.

So I would ask from you that the next time you find yourself in a room with someone you would instinctively avert your eyes from, reject that instinct. Look them in the eye. Smile. Say hello.


Wow..what a story!

Melanie's book, One Touch: A Woman's Journey to Wholeness is about such a person...sort of LOL!

We all know the Biblical story of the woman with the issue of blood, and had she not been so bold (really rare for the time of Jesus) she would be just another invisible person in that place and time. In fact, had she let fear rule her and not stepped forward, we may have never heard of her at all!

Melanie took this character and created a whole life out of that one short miraculous meeting... Read all about it in One Touch A Woman's Journey to Wholeness which can be found at Amazon (Kindle) and Smashwords.

Stay tuned for more on Melanie and her book on Saturday Spotlight!

Until later....take care, God Bless and remember....when you expect miracles, miracles happen!

Something to think about!
Inspirational With An Edge! 


6 comments:

Maureen said...

Wow! What a beautiful story! So precious to know she has touched someone's life so deeply with a little act of kindness.

Alicia Dean said...

So touching. You have a very special daughter, and I commend you both. Thanks for sharing!

Jacqueline Seewald said...

There are many Spanish workers where we live. They are lovely people. My husband speaks some Spanish and always communicates with them in their own language to some extent. They are appreciative.

Diane Burton said...

You taught your daughter well. A smile can mean so much to someone and takes so little effort.

marilyn leach said...

I've spent several years as a teacher of second language children. If only Carlo's story was unique. A smile is a universal language and something we can all easily "speak". Hugs and cheers to your daughter and all those who go out of their way to demonstrate hospitality to "the invisible". Cheers

Unknown said...

Thank you all for your nice comments. My daughter is a very special young woman. I think we may have all felt invisible at some time or another.

Thank you Pam, for allowing me to share my story on your blog.


Have a great weekend!