Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Saturday, July 11, 2020

#SaturdaySpotlight is on Kristen Joy Wilks & Yellowstone Yondering!

Good Morning!

If you've followed me for long you know I absolutely LOVE to promote new-to-me authors. Our guest is a fellow Pelican Book Group author who has never had the opportunity to visit - until today! So please welcome Kristen Joy Wilks with her book, Yellowstone Yondering....

When a free-spirited wildlife photographer loses her Scottish terrier in a herd of bison, she sets out to rescue her furbaby before he is devoured. But will she succeed when Yellowstone National Park is chock full of boiling, bubbling, and rampaging hazards (both mammalian and geographical) — not to mention a rule-obsessed park ranger whose many rescues thwart her efforts to find her poor pup?  

 Excerpt: He handed her a stack of pamphlets, not only on pet regulations within the park, but also papers that listed safe camping techniques, wild animal safety, and motorcycle repair for beginners. Where did he get all of this material? Surely the park did not concern itself with what kind of leather polish she used on the seat of her vehicle.
          “I noticed that you are not wearing biking leathers.”
          “Of course not. I look terrible in black.”
          If possible, his scowl increased in intensity.
          “Also, it is incredibly hot. If I don’t crash, I’ll be fine.”
          The ranger handed her a pamphlet showing a number of grievous injuries and mangled motorbikes, some of them still in flames. “I’ve compiled a list of motorcycle accidents in the park from the last decade. Please consider the purchase of protective garments appropriate to your mode of transportation.”
          Kayla snatched the paper out of his hand and squinted at his name tag which read ALEXANDER BRANDT in precise block lettering. “I’ll take it into consideration, Ranger Brandt. Can I go?”
          Mr. Brandt shook his head and indicated her camera and the equipment tucked inside the open saddle bag. “All park animals are wild. Stay one-hundred yards from bears and wolves and at least twenty-five yards from bison, moose, elk, big horn sheep, deer, and coyotes.”
          “Of course they’re wild. Surely, everyone in this line knows that?”
          “Yes, you would think so. Yet somehow I’ve spent the entire summer discouraging park goers from sneaking up to place their children, children mind you, on the backs of rambling bison and grazing moose for photos. Yesterday, a group of twelve tourists were snapping selfies not five feet away from a Grizzly with cubs and so I say again, the animals are wild!” The ranger paused a moment to collect himself.
          “OK, then, let me assure you of my sanity. I am fully aware that these are bear-infested wilderness areas. I swear never to perch my dog upon wildlife of any kind and will personally tackle any parent who attempts to do so. Safety first … you can let me through anytime now.”
          The ranger raised one brow and lowered his sunglasses. “You might want to skip the tackling part. They would most likely sue.” Man, his eyes were blue … and intense, apparently he had no intention of shortening the lecture. “Now, do not feed any of the animals. Even a marmot can give you Bubonic Plague.”
          Bubonic Plague, really? Kayla snatched her park pass from his hand and was about to pull forward when he gave her just the hint of a smile. It transformed his stern expression, pulling her gaze to those blue eyes and bringing out a single dimple in his cheek. Annoying and cute. How charming. As Ranger Brandt stepped back and waved her forward, he managed to smash her glimpse of Mr. Dashing with some unsolicited wisdom.
          “Remember, no one will enjoy your beautiful photos if you get an antler gouged through your eye.”
          Kayla glanced back and smiled. “Actually, nothing increases sales like the tragic death of the artist.” As Ranger Brandt’s eyes hardened and he opened his mouth to reply, Kayla revved the engine and kicked Canary into gear.  
Author Bio: 
Kristen Joy Wilks lives with her camp-director husband, three fierce sons, and a slobbery Newfoundland dog. She has blow-dried a chicken, smuggled bacon into the movie theater, and fought epic Nerf battles instead of washing dishes. Kristen writes about the humor and Grace God gives amidst the detritus of life. Connect with Kristen on her Website, Facebook, Pinterest. Get a copy of Yellowstone Yondering at Amazon, B&N and PBG. Watch the Trailer HERE.
Wow, Kristen, this book sounds really wonderful! I've been to several National Parks but Yellowstone isn't one - yet. Hopefully soon!
Good luck and God's blessings.
PamT

11 comments:

Barbara Britton said...

Hi Kristen! I really enjoyed this book. I read it after visiting Yellowstone and I knew where all the excitement happened. Such a fun read.

D. V. Stone said...

Congratulations on your book💐 It sounds fun and exciting AND has a dog. Who could ask for more. D. V. 🦉

Kara O'Neal said...

Sounds like a fun read! I loved the excerpt!

Kristen said...

You should definitely make visiting Yellowstone a priority, Pamela! It is such an amazing place ... just leave your furbaby behind though. Poor Kayla got into a whole lot of trouble trying to wrangle her overly confident pup. Thank you so much for having me on the Blog!

Kristen said...

And thank you so much, Barbara! I'm glad you enjoyed it. D.V. Stone, a book is always better with a dog, right? I love putting animals in my stories. Kara O'Neal, I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt. These characters were really fun to write!

Barbara Bettis said...

Sounds like a dandy book, Kristen. Wishing you all the best with it. I've never visited Yellowstone, so reading your book will be fun--and educational.

Mary Preston said...

This sounds like a lot of fun. The excerpt had me smiling.

Kristen said...

I'm so glad it had you smiling, Mary Preston! That was definitely my hope with much of this tale. And Barbara Bettis, Yellowstone is great! I tried to paint a picture of the park so that even if it was unfamiliar, my heroine's trails would feel like a vacation/adventure ... perhaps more adventurous than one really wants their actual vacation to be, though!

Kristen said...

Thank you so much, Kara! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Alina K. Field said...

Sorry I'm late to this party! I loved the excerpt, and it's a timely story giving the recent "accidents" involving bisons and tourists!

SARAH TAYLOR said...

Loved the post Thanks for sharing!