Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

#TuesdayTreasures with Marilyn Baxter

Good Morning!

I pray your Thanksgiving was blessed and happy!

If you've followed me for long you know one of the things that gives me the most pleasure is to introduce you to a new-to-me author and today's guest is no exception. Please give Marilyn a huge, warm WELCOME!


Thank you, Pamela, for having me today!  When I think about the treasures in my life, I reflect on my writing days.  I came late to writing.  I sold my first story when I was almost 55 years old, and it appeared in True Confessions magazine.  In the years since, I have sold fifty or so stories and short features to the various confessions and romance magazines.  I learned a lot from the handful of editors I had at the magazines, and by way of a Yahoo group for “Trues Writers,” I met some wonderful people, some of whom I’ve met in person too. 

About ten years into my writing journey, an editor for a new small publisher came to speak to my RWA chapter.  I knew him by reputation because he had been with a large New York publisher that had closed.  During his talk to the group, he mentioned a contest they were having.  You wrote a novella based on a song title and got folks to vote for you.  The field would be narrowed down over a course of elimination rounds.  The editors would select the overall winner from the final 3.  I decided to go for it and submitted my novella, then staged a campaign to garner votes.  And I made it to the top 3! 

When the contest ended, and the winners were announced at the publisher’s open house at the 2013 RWA conference in Atlanta, the editors didn’t pick my novella as the overall winner.  But I had gotten the most popular votes, so they published my novella AND issued an invitation to submit a full-length novel too.  And the rest is history, as they say.  BETTER AS A MEMORY, my contest novella, was published in May of 2014, and DIRECT DEPOSIT, the full-length novel I submitted, was released in January of 2015.  Since then I’ve had 1 short story (called a Lunchbox Romance), 1 more full-length novel and 5 more novellas published. 

All these sales, all the other authors I’ve come to know, all the editors and other support staff I’ve worked with – they have filled my treasure chest with so much knowledge and joy.  And I hope I can keep adding to that treasure chest in the years to come. 

I love to connect with readers and other writers on Facebook or you can contact me via my website.  

Thanks again, Pamela, for the opportunity to share with your readers!

RESCUED features eight stories of love and rescuing while saving each other and a dog in need.  Publisher proceeds are being donated to Project Freedom Ride, a group that moves dogs from high-kill shelters to no-kill shelters and Marilyn Baxter is donating a portion of her royalties to the Greater Huntsville Humane Society. Contributing authors/stories are: Bleu - L.P. Maxa, Burnover - Diane Benefiel, Abandoned Love - Cindy Holby, Chaos - Gabi Stevens, Sparks - Sheri Humphreys, Oscar - Joan Bird,  Cocoa - Emily Mims and of course.....

Always a Hero - Marilyn Baxter 

When a hurricane threatens St. Magnus Island, deputy sheriff, Noah Tindall finds Lucy Jansen home alone. She hasn't evacuated along with all the other residents, and the reason - her foster dog is giving birth. Six pups later, Noah convinces Lucy to go to his home on higher ground. No power, a tornado warning, and cramped quarters make for intimacy neither want, but both end up craving. Forever.

Rescued can be purchased at Amazon, B&N, Smashwords and Kobo.


Wow, how wonderful Marilyn and what a great project! Thank YOU for sharing! 

Hope you enjoyed today's post friends and that you'll check back regularly for more Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God bless.
PamT

5 comments:

Alina K. Field said...

What a great premise or a story, and what a worthy cause!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

Waving to my friend, Marilyn, who is an awesome blossom.

Marilyn Baxter said...

I forgot to mention that all the other authors are contributing to animal rescue as well. I'm pet-less at the moment, but I'm a firm believer in the cause, and when I get another animal, it'll be a rescue.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Marilyn,

Congrats on your latest writing and supporting a worthy cause as well!

Kara O'Neal said...

Loved the post! And the story sounds very interesting! Thank you for sharing!