Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Thursday, September 14, 2017

#ThursdayThoughts guest post by Mike Befeler

Good Morning!

Today's guest is new to me and our blog so please give Mike Befeler a great big southern WELCOME!

Mike is past-president of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Mystery Writers of America. He holds a Master’s degree from UCLA and a Bachelor’s degree from Stanford. He grew up in Honolulu, Hawaii, and now lives in Lakewood, California with his wife, Wendy.

Find out more about Mike by visiting the 'About' page on his website and connecting with him at the following locations:



Now let's see what Mike has to share with us today....

Geezer-lit Mysteries—The What and the Why

I have a confession to make. I write geezer-lit mysteries. Not all my mysteries are geezer-lit since I also have two paranormal mysteries, a theater mystery, a historical mystery, a sports mystery and a thriller, but my six book series and my latest book are geezer-lit mysteries. I didn’t come up with the tag line of geezer-lit mysteries. I owe this to my friend, Christine Goff, who writes bird watching mysteries and thrillers. She was kind enough to give me a blurb for my first published book, Retirement Homes Are Murder: “a wonderful debut novel—a fitting entry in the burgeoning field of geezer-lit.” I ran with it.

So what are geezer-lit mysteries? Simple answer: mysteries that feature older characters. The protagonist in my six book, Paul Jacobson Geezer-lit Mystery Series, is in his mid-eighties and has short-term memory loss. Although he can’t remember the day before, he becomes an amateur sleuth and even has a romance with a young chick in her seventies.

My most recent book, Death of a Scam Artist, features a whole new cast of characters. Although the protagonist is in his early forties, the mystery takes place in a retirement community and most of the characters are eighty plus. Here’s a preview: In Death of a Scam Artist, a financial hatchet man who dislikes old people, accepts the job of turning around a failing retirement home and undergoes a life-transforming experience in the world of geezers and geezerettes. He must deal with a suspicious death, a scam, a hit man, an unexpected romance and retired magician Jerry Rhine and his five whacky sidekicks known as the Jerry-atrics. He faces the most important decision of his life when he uncovers the secret behind an unusual murder.

How interesting, Mike! Sounds like a great genre. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us today.

Friends, you can pick up a copy of Mike's book at Amazon (Kindle) and B&N.

Hope you enjoyed today's post and that you'll drop by each week for Tuesday Treasures, Thursday Thoughts and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time take care and God bless.
PamT

12 comments:

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Mike,

Congrats on your latest mystery publication! Your novels have been well-received by the top review publications and I look forward to reading your new book. Best Wishes.

Kara O'Neal said...

What a great concept! I love this idea. My favorite thing about books are the characters, and I think I'd really like reading a book with a much older main character/hero. It seems like it would be a lot of fun!

Diane Burton said...

I've been reading geezer-lit mysteries and didn't know it. LOL Love stories with a big cast of characters (emphasis on characters). Best wishes.

Susan Oleksiw said...

I love stories with such a wide range of characters, but I didn't know such books were called geezer lit. I look forward to reading your books.

Alina K. Field said...

This is a new genre to me. Your latest book sounds wonderful!

Vicki Batman, sassy writer said...

I like characters of all sorts; so your book is intriguing. And love the cover. Congratulations.

Tanya Hanson said...

What a fun genre. As a geezer myself, I am glad we are getting recognized lol. Congratulations and wishes for many sales!

marilyn leach said...

At a recent book signing, a mature woman asked how old the heroine in my mystery was. When I told her that she was in her late fifties, she smiled and bought a book. Baby-boomers enjoy reading for the most part, and I think they enjoy reading literature that features their aging counterparts. Geezer-lit. Bring it on. Cheers

Mike Befeler, author of geezer-lit and paranormal mysteries said...

Thanks for all the comments. I have enjoyed writing geezer-lit and appreciate readers who "get it."

Judy Ann Davis said...

This sounds like an interesting, but unique genre. I'll have to read some of these. Best of luck with sales.

June Shaw said...

Mike, your books are so much fun! Haven't read this new one yet but will. My first series, starting with Relative Danger, feature a spunky geezer gal and her hunky lover she's trying to avoid so she can rediscover herself--but he keeps opening Cajun restaurants in all the places she travels--and she is so bad at avoiding tempting dishes and men.

Mike Befeler, author of geezer-lit and paranormal mysteries said...

I like the comments from people of all ages who enjoy reading about older characters. Pamela, thanks for including me in your blog