Disclaimer

DISCLAIMER:

I do not read every book/author I spotlight or book tour I host!
Readers, Please research and use wisdom before buying

Saturday, July 27, 2019

#SaturdaySpotlight is on Zaida Alfaro & The Last Note a Miami Music Mystery

Good Morning from Monroe, Louisiana!

Yep, on another short vacation but this time staying close to home. My gentleman friend's grandson is playing in the Dixie League World Series. They live in SC so it is rare to have them in LA and we're looking forward to a fun-filled week.

Our guest today is new to me and the blog so please welcome Zaida Alfaro with her cozy mystery, The Last Note: A Miami Music Mystery....


Killer songs and a killer voice, but a killer at her gig?  Vy has always found herself at the center of attention as the lead singer for one of Miami's top cover bands, but when she finds herself at the center of a murder investigation, while performing at the Steel Horse Bar, that changes the tune of the night. Someone believes that Vy knows the truth behind the murder of the bar owner Ricky, and now that person is after her. Vy better figure out quickly who wanted Ricky dead, who is threatening her with her favorite band’s song lyrics, and why she’s falling for the handsome Detective Houston, before she too sings her last note. With a mixture of mystery, mayhem and comedy, you will find yourself immersed in Vy's musical and murderous world.


Excerpt: The bar was alive tonight. Vy was feeding off the positive energy that was generated throughout each table, each person. That energy replenished her soul. The crowd sang along with Vy to “Sweet Child of Mine.” Carlos went into the song’s notorious, edgy guitar solo.

The women stood in front of him going ballistic. Vy belted out the chorus while she was on her knees in front of Carlos’ guitar.

“Yeah! Give it up for Carlos!” Vy shouted into the microphone.

The song ended, and it was time for Vy to take a break. Rob was going to take over, and sing a few more songs. As she walked down the steps, Vy noticed that her martini had disappeared. Shawn walked up to her, “Vy, that was awesome!” Shawn turned her into mush.

“Thanks. You know, if you want to play a song, I’m sure that Carlos will let you use his guitar.” His smile was vibrant, but it was soon cut off when Ricky approached them. Ricky had the tendency to ruin Shawn’s every amazing smile.

“I know, get back to work,” Shawn said mimicking him.

“Good boy,” Ricky responded. Vy could tell Ricky had been drinking already, just by the tone of his voice. “I tell you, if he keeps slacking, he’s gone.”

“He was just telling me how great we sounded, relax.” Apparently, that was the wrong thing to say. His eyes dilated, and his lips were about to say something to Vy, but Tina emerged next to her like an angel.

“Hi, Ricky,” she said. “You’re not giving my best girl here a hard time, are you?”

“Hi, Tina.” His entire demeanor changed. She had him salivating.

“Um, no. I was just going to offer you ladies a drink on the house. By the way, Vy, I drank that martini you left by the monitor. You shouldn’t leave your drink unattended, could be dangerous. You’re lucky that I drank it.” Ricky laughed. “Anyway, you want another one?”

Sure, you jerk, was what she thought, but what Vy said was, “Sure, thanks.”

“How about you, beautiful? You want to have a shot with me?” Ricky asked Tina.

“I will have a shot, but I already promised Vy I’d have it with her. Next time, sweetie,” Tina grinned. Ricky didn’t even realize that Tina was belittling him.

He caught himself staring at Tina and quickly snapped out of it. “Kendra! Get these ladies what they want!” Ricky stormed off to the office without saying another word.

“Jerk,” Tina muttered as they walked back to the table. “How do you deal with that crap?”

“I usually don’t. He usually isn’t here when we play. But thanks for saving me.”

“Honey, I saw that look you give when you’re ready to kick someone in the gut. I wanted to save that man from excruciating pain.”

“Was it that obvious?” Vy asked.

“Big time.”

Kendra came over with two martinis and two shots. “Here you go, girls.”

“Sorry that he gave you attitude,” Vy said.

“Oh, sweetie, that’s normal around here.” Kendra smiled. “Let me know if you need anything else. Enjoy.”

“Now, let’s drink to friendship,” Tina said.

“Here’s to friendship.” As they raised their glasses, they heard a loud scream, over Rob’s Led Zeppelin song. Cassandra hysterically came out of the office, and ran over to Kyle yelling, “He’s dead, Kyle. He’s dead!”

Oh wow, Zaida! What an excerpt and your cover is lovely. We certainly wish you the best of luck and God's blessings with it. Please tell us a little about yourself....

The Last Note’s main backdrop, the amazing city of Miami, Florida, is beloved and well-known to me. I was born and raised in Miami, and like the novel’s main character Vy, I am a singer/songwriter, as well as the lead singer to a self-proclaimed cover band. All things relating to music or literature are my passion. I keep a journal, and I am constantly writing poems, stories, and any thought that comes to mind. I have a fascination for black and white films, that have the element of mystery. As I have been told by many, I have a very creative imagination.

Many years ago, I became an avid reader of cozy mysteries. The story lines were intriguing, engaging, and funny at the same time. I was so inspired by the authors, that I then decided to take my musical experiences, and put it on paper. I began writing this first novel in 2009. In between my full-time job, my weekend gigs, and my personal life, I finally completed the novel. The phobia's, the dream sequences, and the quirkiness of the main characters, are all based on facts. I hope that I was able to bring the love I have for Miami, the Cuban culture, my family, and music, to the readers of my novel, and to the series to come.

Find out more by visiting, following and liking me on these Social Media sites....

FaceBook:  zaidaauthor www.facebook.com/zaidaauthor
Instagram: zaidamusic  
Twitter: zaidamusic www.twitter.com/zaidamusic

The Last Note, my music and other items can be purchased at Amazon, my website and my Cafe Press store.

Sounds great, Zaida. Thank you for joining us today.

Hope you enjoyed the spotlight friends and that you'll check back each week for Wednesday Words with Friends and Saturday Spotlight.

Until next time, take care and God bless.
PamT

5 comments:

Jody said...

Sounds amazing! All the best to you:)

Diane Burton said...

I love cozy mysteries. This book sounds great.

Jacqueline Seewald said...

Great excerpt! Congrats and best wishes.

Sharon Ervin said...

Thought: Might open with fewer "was"s.
Encouraging words: It sounds good.
Also: Pamela is a great place to share.

Alicia Dean said...

Oh wow...that sounds like a great, suspenseful read. Right up my alley! I enjoyed the excerpt. Congrats and best wishes.